Heated Front Screen

tuko

How difficult would it be to wire in a heated front screen on a 97 Disco ?

I've ordered a new screen today and I decided to treat ourselves to a heated screen so that there is less complaining in the house about how difficult it is to scrap the windows. :rolleyes:

Looking in the ETM is shows way too many fuses and then is shows what appears to be a standard relay that drives it. There must be a timer some where, I'll look a bit more later but what would I really need to wire in the heating element? How simple can we make this?

Cheers,

Todd.

With a 97 model all the wiring is there so you will need the fuse, switch and timer relay the standard screen has two elements left/right using one relay I don't know how the timing works MFU or relay, I have only use mine once of twice in 12 years when there was a bit of snow about and I switch it manually, my heater clears the screen quicker if it's just frosty.

With a 97 model all the wiring is there

You know the two tabs just under the glass where the heated glass connects into the electrical system, well I have nothing there and looking around I saw no unused plastic contacts. I should say that my Disco is a German market vehicle that was imported into Sweden.

I'll have to do some digging about tomorrow to get a clearer picture of whats there, maybe I'll be lucky and find those two contacts.

Todd.

You will be looking for one of these at each end of the windcsreen

Great picture!

I think that there is one of those next to the bonnet alarm contact that's unused. With the wiring diagram I'll see what it's actually for. ;)

Thanks,

Todd.

Hej teabag,

I just spent the better part of two hours outside searching in/under/around everything on the Disco and I can tell you that unfortunately there is not wiring for the heated front screen on this German Export Disco.

Talking with the local LR mechanic he said it was '99 that LR started to use a standardized harness in the Disco's. I do remember a few years ago I did look for the electrical contacts to the heater front seats and there I found nothing. No cold weather accessories were standard on German market vehicles. :(

So as it stands today I will be looking on ebag or begging here for the various contacts/plugs/timer relay/switch so that I can wire in the new heated front screen that will be installed on the 3rd.

Thanks

Todd.

Your local mechanic should know that Lr stoped production of the Disco 1 in 1998. The info I have gained from the various forums is that the wiring is standard UK models that is.

It won't be a problem to wire the windscreen, u will need two relays if your screen has two elements like the factory fitted one, then a timer relay to control the two relays plus a push on push off switch.

This link will show u what to look out for.

Good luck in your little project.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

I think tuko's local mechanic was referring to Discos in general, 1 through 4.

Anyway, not even the D2s don't have a standard harness in that area, it depends, about the same like in D1s, on the accesories level and market.

Market means Europe, Japan, US. As for Germany, its part of Europe so no special market or equipment.

Coming back to D1s, the heated screen became an option since 1997 (late 1996). There are 3 major versions of the harness that goes in that place (considering the Europeean market only) and these are: Low Line, Mid Line, High Line, corresponding to the ICE level.

AFAIK, only the Mid Line and High Line harneses have the heated windscreen connectors.

So, tuko, if your Discovery has (had) a cassette player with 2 speakers (I think this was the Low Line), then there are no heated screen connectors.

For example, I have an early 98 300tdi manual, LHD, A/C, no heated seats and no heated seats harness, no sunroofs, Mid Line ICE as it left the factory (CD player and 4 speakers, no Cd changer, no subwoofer), no factory heated windscreen but with the plugs in place as pictured above (brown colored in my case).

You don't have to use the factory genuine plugs/wiring if don't really care to.

You can:

- replace the connectors on the windscreen with some other male/female pair capable of withstanding the current

- the relays and the inline fuse are widely available from all sorts of vehicle manuf (VW has some inline fuses like that - I use a 60A one, located in the same place where normally the heated screen fuse is placed, for the 220V inverter).

Get the timer relay and the button from ebay or scrap yard, some wires and what other small bits are needed and you're sorted. You have the wiring diagram and all to see where/how everything connects so there should be no problems.

You're unlucky not to have those connections on your car Tuko.

My 98' Discovery is Middle East spec and even they have the heated front wind screen connections in the loom. Obviously we don't need this accesory out here so I used the 60amp supply to power my roof mounted spot lights instead.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

It's been a while since I started this topic and finally today I had the time to wire in the front heated screen using Ralph's wiring diagram...

untitled.jpg

The Timer works as it should, turns off after 7 minutes and there is power at the relay as it's switching on/off when the switch is activated. I think that I've looked at too many wires today or simply having a brain fart, but how will I tell that the screen is working? It was not as if I could feel that the screen got warm, so I'm wondering if there is something wired wrong or if there is a better way to test that it's actually working..... time to relax, enjoy a beer and not think about this till tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,

Todd.

Hi Tuko,

You cant feel the heat with your hands, but the electric current is so high, that you should be able to measure a drop in the battery voltage, say from 13,5 volts to 13,2-ish.

I can even hear a change in the engine idle speed, caused by the load on the alternator (30-50 Amp.).

Regards

Bo

It's been a while since I started this topic and finally today I had the time to wire in the front heated screen using Ralph's wiring diagram...

untitled.jpg

The Timer works as it should, turns off after 7 minutes and there is power at the relay as it's switching on/off when the switch is activated. I think that I've looked at too many wires today or simply having a brain fart, but how will I tell that the screen is working? It was not as if I could feel that the screen got warm, so I'm wondering if there is something wired wrong or if there is a better way to test that it's actually working..... time to relax, enjoy a beer and not think about this till tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,

Todd.

you can come over & connect mine up for me now, seeing as you've had practice on your vehicle :P

It's nice that I can bribe the LR mechanic with a cold one on the deck....after he checks the windscreen. ;)

My wiring was correct and the elements are working fine, the boss is going to have to find something else to complain about. :ph34r:

Ralph I would have thought that you had yours wired in years ago, but if you have a deck and a few colds ones, I could be bribed. :D

Todd.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to drag up an old topic but I was unsure how to start a new one. I have a similar problem. I have a 52 Plate D2 and just had a heated front screen fitted in it at the weekend. The local land rover dealer assured me that the wiring harness was standard in all D2's and that I would need a switch and a relay and have it plugged into there machine to tell it it now had a heated front screen. So I got the windscreen fitted bought a switch and a relay but I can't find the wiring to connect the screen up. Land rover said it would be two plugs either side of the scuttle panel. Well there is nothing there. I have found a plug that plugs into the switch behind the switch panel but that could be for something different? The windscreen guy said the wires normally disappear through the bulk head to somewhere behind the dash. Has anyone ever come across this problem? Are they likely to be hiding behind the dash or am I missing a part of my loom?