Another IVA question

dees

Hi folks,

A quick question regarding IVAs for you all. Now I'm getting on wih my hybrid again after a small hiatus, I'm turning my attention to the fuel system. The IVA manual states that fuel tanks etc should be separate from the passenger compartment. Does anyone know whether this would prohibit the fitment of an LPG tank in the rear tub behind the rear bulkhead, if it was boxed in?

Cheers in advance

Dees

I don't know the IVA manual but with an LPG tank that was boxed in I'd expect they'd want to see that on the event of any tank leakage that the box was vented outside the vehicle. If they didn't accept the tank in the passenger compartment that would affect a huge number of LPG installs

A double - skinned tank still has to be in a recogniseable space that is seperate from the driver/passenger compartment and ventable to the outside, so no matter how many skins it has - it still regarded as the fuel cell, and has to be contained 'outside' the vehicle. You could make a hole in the floor and box the rest in and that would be fine.

Les.

IIRC, LPG will always sink as it is heavier than air, so the vent must be at the bottom of the enclosed tank space not the top. This is how we always have to have butane and propane tanks/bottles installed on narrowboats for them to pass their inspections, and always isolated from the internal space too.

The weight of the fuel or vapour isn't the only consideration. Fire risk is why the fuel cell has to be vented to the outside of the passenger compartment. Vapours won't ignite without some ignition source - either from the engine itself or from some other external way (havin' a fag). So two reasons for this arrangement - protection of the occupants and no containment of vapours within a confined space.

Les.

Thanks for the replies, folks. Obviously I'll have to talk to my local VOSA office to get the definitive answer that's acceptable to the people that might be doing any inspection, but it does seem like it is possible. However, I do like the idea of the fitting it after any IVA exam!

I'm also struggling with the idea of how to lay in a filler pipe to a pair of under wing tanks, forward of the rear wheels (kinda like a Series filler, but in the rear tub). I'm thinking that this should be ok as long as it is boxed in as well.. Thoughts?