rear axle half shafts in front axle.

I have recently changed my disc drum rear axle for a discovery disc/caliper set up.

ive noticed that the rear axle half shafts appear to be a 1piece set up which means that my freestyle alloys fit on the hubs allowing the centre caps to be fitted.

I was wondering could I get hold of a pair of rear axle disco shafts and fit them to the front axle allowing the alloys to fit with centre caps.

Yop, you can take out the CV's and replace the shafts with one piece driveshafts from the rear axle.

You then can drive forward and backward in a straight line in your yard as you will only loose the ability to steer the vehicle ;)

But that's the price to pay for shiny centre caps. :lol:

errr...unless Im reading the post slightly wrong..theres no way on earth you can fit rear half shafts to the front axle - how do you go round corners? The front axle case is shorter to allow for the fitting of the swivels, and the front halfshafts have rather important CV joints in them to allow for it to swivel....

Are you acctually asking is it possible to get front half shafts the same style??

I have recently changed my disc drum rear axle for a discovery disc/caliper set up.

ive noticed that the rear axle half shafts appear to be a 1piece set up which means that my freestyle alloys fit on the hubs allowing the centre caps to be fitted.

I was wondering could I get hold of a pair of rear axle disco shafts and fit them to the front axle allowing the alloys to fit with centre caps.

easyest way is to get a disco front axle like i did

or you could change CV's and all the shafts

Hoss - the front axle has a different setup. the shafts run from diff to CV. the CV (inside the swivel at the end of the axle) then has the stud that comes out the end into the drive member (RR slightly different but anyway) so you cant fit shafts all the way through.

easyest way is to get a disco front axle like i did

or you could change CV's and all the shafts

Sorry for jumping in! So do the Disco cv's fit the 90's stub axles?

Have not been able to find out before. (I have all good internals from

a Disco axle, no axle case)