7.50/16s or RR diffs?

danster

got a s3 petrol which runs on 205/16s would it be better to run it on rr diffs or 750/16s to get a better cruising speed?

Go for the 7.50's or 238/85 x 16, ive been there with RR diffs, admittedly with a 2.5nad, :rolleyes: and wouldnt go back there again as it was hopeless for trailer work or pulling away up hill.

got a s3 petrol which runs on 205/16s would it be better to run it on rr diffs or 750/16s to get a better cruising speed?

Well, with the tyres you get better clearance if you ever go offroad in it.

Fitment is easier if that is a worry for you (with the wheels/tyres) - though swapping the diff is hardly difficult.

How strong is your engine, you may find it overgeared when changing the ratios (by either changing tyres or diffs) - it'll certainly change from how it drives now. The idea of iproving cruising speed will only apply iof your engine is capable of maintaining it. Some people find it slows down too much on hills etc and change back.

If you have access to a diff, you could pop it in the rear axle and drive about in 2wd to see how you like it before changing the front (don't go putting it in 4wd though!).

You could figure out the change in overall gearing for both mods and pick the one you prefer. (I haven't done the sums, but they're bound to be numerically different solutions).

Cheers, Al.

am looking at fitting a 2.5 nad engine in it in the near future got 3 750 16s so will look at finding a couple more and putting them on in the near future then poss some parabolic springs depending on if i have the money!

I'd go for the 7.50's tried 205's and it was pretty quick off the mark but wasnt that good at cruising now its a bit slower off the mark but sits happily at 55/60 on the motorway

just changed the 7.50 crossplys on mine for some lassa 7.50r16' s http://www.lassa-europe.com/ln-english/default.aspx?mod=31

havent tried them off road but reckon should be ok as they are the sdame pattern as a michelin

• 2 months later...

I ran my S111 SWB 2.25P on 9.00x16's and it was fine, the real killer was using O/D at the same time and then it just didn't want to know. I wasn't too worried however as all was being carried out in preparation for the fitment of the V8 and then it was ok and pulled 4th O/D perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

Tyres - 7.50's help off-road too and are easily removed if you need to. Also 7.50's don't raise your gearing as much as the RR diffs. If you need more, fit an overdrive, Series ones are cheap enough these days and the parts are available.

Remember 109's had 7.50's as standard anyway and they were factory optional on 88's.

My 109 had 235/85's and RR diffs and an overdrive and still needed more, but the 3.9 EFi might of had something to do with that :D

Another option is the Ashcroft High Ratio transfer box conversion. This leaves your low ratios the same but spreads out your high ratios. It was designed for V8 conversions, but our lightweight had one wih a tweaked 2.25 and 235/85's.

Just an option...

Cheers

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

put my 235/85 greenway machos on now its a novelty to be able to pull away in first gear fingers crossed will be converting it to 2.5nad this week so will see what it goes like then! its allready got an overdriveso fingers crossed it wont be too bad

:lol: don't get your hopes up! ;)

Mark

dont worry not expecting a rocketship (unlike the 90 ive just seen on ebay which pulls like a train apparently) but the 2 !/4 petrol engine is getting tired and ive got a spare 2.5nad to fit when it stops being so sunny!

• 4 weeks later...

If one of your options includes retaining the 205 x16 tyres, then serious offroading is not something you indulge in often,so the RR diffs or high ratio t/case conversion, both at around 30 to 33% higher may be your option. 7.50x16's give about 11%. From a reliability viewpoint,the problem with either high t/case or high ratio diffs for series landrovers used for towing and/ or offroad work is that you will be placing extra strain on what is already a fragile undernourished gearbox. The biggest killer of series 1,2 and 2A gearbox layshafts is excessive use of 2nd and first gears. On series 3's the same excessive use of the lower gears causes mainshaft and synchro hub failures. For a given amount of torque at the rear wheels, a gearbox driving to a higher ratio transfercase or diff must supply/transmit more torque than a gearbox driving into the standard lower ratio equipments.

Bill.