Range rover axles on defender

richb

I have a stupid NEWB question i am affraid.

I am looking to buy an engine for my project 90 (1988) and was lookng to get a Range rover donor for this. Probably a 90-94.

Will the rangie axles fit a)straight on. b) with some fettling or c) no way.

If (as i believe) they fit whats the advantage over stock defender items?

Like i say sorry if its obvious but i dont actually know :)

Cheers

I think they fit, depending on year of manufacture. Early ones had the rear dampers pointing in different directions.

And - there is no advantage, they are virtually the same as the ones you have. Same gearing etc. Rangey axles have discs at the rear, what does a 1988 90 have? I have rear drums on my 110 and can't think of a reason to change them to discs. :)

depending on the rrc the axels could be 24 spline so slightly stronger. disc's on rear. the damper is on the rear of the front axel on the rrc which you could keep or remove and use the 90 set up both as good as each other but if your off roading i'd stick wiht the 90 set up.

brake system could be twin pipe and again depending on the rrc you could have vented disc's. You have two options from here. you could buy new calipers to accept the vented disks or you can change to solid type.. .your choice / expence.

Axles and swops can be a nightmare, you could write war and peace on this subject, but some key points

FRONT

200 and 300 TDIs have small Halfshafts 32 spline at the CV end, which makes them VERY WEak and prone to breakages, whilst not the strongest unit a 90 axle has bigger (23 spline) at the CV end and is stronger, I would suggest a RR 23 spline RR or 90 axle everytime over a 200 or 300, except on the later axles 300 ish they have 24 spkline at the diff end, where easrly 90 and RR have 10 spine at the diif end. Early 90s have narroe raduis arms at the axle end versus later stuff wider, there is an arguement that narrow helps off road fles (true) and wide bushes last longer (also true) so make yer choice, the radius arms HAVE to be matched to the casing, both will fit at chassi end

Even so I say 23/10 RR and 90 over 200 300 32/24 spline evey time :)

REAR

The differences between the unit is not as great, here aviod Drum braked axles over discs, you can get 24 spline (better) over 10 spline (Diff end), but whatever axle you use get the complete axle including the diff H shafts and BRAKEs etc, and note WTF it was off for spares later on :lol: . Aviod Very early non oil seal RR axles (pre 86) as they have expensive bits when they go wrong, and ABS is fine too, just junk the ABS but again parts can be more, some bits between ABS and Non Abs can be swapped but it often screams at midnight time, so best use something complete and known and then spares are easy :)

HTH

Nige