diesel or petrol p38

muddy4x4xfar

im acking to buy a p38 range rover its my favourite model range rover. but couple of questions.

this is the full spec range rover incase it makes a difference i dont know.

which is better fuel aside?. the diesel engine, or the petrol and why?

which is most reliable?

and aside from the suspension what common problems do they have.

thanks everyone for their help .

I had the same feeling after many years RRC ownership and found a diesel with rust free body and known service history, what a pig of a thing it is, a real dog, the later V8's have problems which you can see in every second post on any Land Rover site.

Land Rovers are in my opinion the only vehicle worth owning but the P38 what were they thinking !!BMW X :huh::o

I had the same feeling after many years RRC ownership and found a diesel with rust free body and known service history, what a pig of a thing it is, a real dog, the later V8's have problems which you can see in every second post on any Land Rover site.

Land Rovers are in my opinion the only vehicle worth owning but the P38 what were they thinking !!BMW X :huh::o

They were thinking "I wonder how things would be if Bavaria had won the war":-)

Despite their reputation, I don't think P38s are any less reliable than older land rovers, and they're more refined and better built. The down side is all the electronics make them less DIY friendly when they do go wrong (though they are DIY maintainable these days, the necessary know how is mostly available on the internet, and you can buy your own diagnostics if you have a few hundred to spare).

As to which is best, what do you want from it?

Performance, sound, all round fun to drive - V8.

Practicality, economy - diesel.

The BMW straight six diesel is a nice engine, but it's working hard in a P38, so they aren't quick. Once on the move drivability is pretty good, but they have massive turbo lag off the line (supposedly having them chipped largely cures this but I've not driven a chipped one).