Now That's What I Call A Spark

geoffbeaumont

Fired up the EDIS for the first time today - was a bit disappointed by the spark (still better than the original ignition gives), until it occurred to us that the wasted spark coils probably wouldn't work properly without and earth on either end - stuck another lead and plug on and I now have sparks that reliably jump a good three inch gap :D

Way too much advance at the moment, so I need to take the crank position sensor bracket off and modify it to allow more adjustment. Once I've got it sitting nicely on ten degrees BTDC in limp home mode I can hook it up to the real spark plugs and get it running the engine :) Then I can start playing with the megasquirt end of things.

I'm liking this EDIS thing... :wub:

Geoff - noticed you are looking for a way of triggering the ECU in the absence of a normal coil, replacing the coil with a ~100 Ohm resistor should work (any value from 2 Ohms up to several K Ohms should be OK but the lower values will dissipate a bit of heat).

Edited because the diagram I had was EDIS-4 not EDIS-8, D'Oh!

Edited again because I found this one:

tach_circuit.jpg

You'll need to expand this circuit (two extra 1n4004's) to feed all four coils into one TACH signal. If you need diodes I have squillions :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm afraid I might have got slightly carried away in my enthusiasm last night...the sparks are only jumping a (good) inch today... :huh:

Still...sparks as never seen before under the bonnet of my rangie :D

they are probably tired :rolleyes:

what was the weather like on the previous day - more moisture in the air perhaps?

they are probably tired :rolleyes:

what was the weather like on the previous day - more moisture in the air perhaps?

I think it was more over enthusiasm than the weather - think it was pretty dry both days. Either way it's slightly more impressive than the spark off the dizzy... :D