First Defender!

I'm looking to buy my first Defender 90 and was wondering if anyone could recommend which would be the best? I'm not on a massive budget so an older one is on the cards! I've looked in all the obvious places for adverts, but looking at auctions and sales. I'm in Bristol but prepared to travel to find the right one. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as being a girl I'm finding sales people are not always reliable!

firstly welcome to LR4x4, good to have another female member on here.

What do you want to use it for ---

Towing [horse box or other trailer typres] --- any 90 with a 200 or 300Tdi diesel engine, petrol engine will do butuse more fuel

horse tack -- a hardtop van is probably best for this as with no side windows in the upper body, it's a bit more secure than a station wagon

daily use -- a station wagon everytime.

Engine -- petrol or diesel

a 2.5 litre petrol is a good unit or a tdi diesel as above a very long lived unit if properly cared for.

iv just got my first defender a 1997 300tdi 90 and i absolutely love it.

anyway... my point is i looked around for about 4months before i came to the decision to buy the one i got, and im so glad i did. the money i paid for it, compared to some of the others i looked at at the same price, well lets just say some people were dreaming.

dont worry about the age of whatever you are looking at, land rovers and prices all depend on the condition not the age and im sure from what iv seen so far, there are plenty of people on here who would be willing to offer help and advice

good luck searching

Hi, welcome

im fairly new to the forum also and in the last 3 months have bought a "90", i dont know how hands on you are? (i wasnt) but they are so easy to work on and the people on the forum will give you loads of help with any problems you may come across. If you have a few quid that you can keep by, then an old one isnt bad. BUT! they are worse than drugs, every weekend i have been out doing something to mine and as for money they can be a bottomless pit when you start to want lights, suspension, etc, etc, etc................ it goes on, but you know what, i wouldnt swap mine for a brand new one :-)

Make sure the chassis and bulkhead are solid ( hit the chassis hard with a screwdriver, (the pointy bit :rolleyes:) if in doubt, if it goes in, keep looking) there are gems to by found and work to be done if your not careful, from what i've seen of people on here if you find one youre interested in someone would have a look with you.

good luck

cheers paul

Thank you very much for your help!

I went to look at an S reg 90 today, low miles and very tidy interior however there was some bubbling on the exterior. The engine was spotless and chassis fine, so I was wondering if this bubbling is an area for concern, if the aluminium is affected. If it isn't a major problem, how can it be treated?

Welcome, you will find that once bitten you'll find it very hard to break the Land Rover habit :)

Good luck

What he said!! i got my first defender about 18 months ago after starting the landrover bug with a disco, and i wouldn't get rid for anything.

Like someone else has posted they can be a bit of a bottomless pit when money's concerned on what you want to do, but thats part of the bug!!

Don't be put of by the doors, they all do it eventualy & can be sorted!

As & when you get what you are looking for?? Keep an eye open on the forum's for dates of events like the old sodbury sort out where you can get some great deals! Which will help the pocket!

Best of like in what you find!! :D