dual beacons

discomikey

a bit off topic, but im going to wire a second beacon up to my vehicle, and i was wandering if the existing wiring will stand up to adding a second beacon, in paralell to the first beacon. i thought it should because headlights and spotlights are wired in paralell, and the bulbs arent as high power in beacons, but they have the motors aswell, and i dont want to start a cab fire!

cheers

If they are 55 watt rotating beacons they will draw just over 5 amps each. So if your running two in parrel you will be drawing approx 11 amps. I would run these through a 30 amp relay fused at 15 amps using 17 amp cable. If you split the output from the relay to feed each beacon, you could down size the output cable to 8 amp for each leg.

heres my thoughts, as from the factory it can be fitted with either dual or single(standard) it should have the wiring, at least up to the switch big enough to cope with duals, unless they install a relay, but then i have to route another live through the bonnet, cab pillar etc. so if the wiring can cope with it up to the switch, provided the switch can cope (carling) i should be able to run the second live straight from that shouldnt i?

update, ive checked the size, its not 17amp so i am going to stick a relay in there. stole the power source from a different broken application which eliminates the need for rewiring. the wires are the correct size so now all i need is the relay because i have the relay power source, the relay earth the beacon power source. all ill have to wire in is the output from the relay and the earth wire, eaisly done and very short distiances.

thnks for the help guys!