Rev Counter

Hi and a Happy New to all

I had a Rev counter and clock for christmas, both gen Landrover Defender kit second hand ebay with no cables, i have one spare space on my dash instrument panel where i want to put the rev counter, my Landie is a 1987 90 2.5td i will need to pick up power and a line to the engine for the rev counter need to know how to do this the power i am not to worried about but the rev side where on the engine do i go to ?

the clock i was going to drill out a hole by the cig lighter and pick up power there but just need know what power is always live not activated by the ignition (Side lights?)

thanks guys, i know a rev counter on a landie is a little silly but it was a present and my wife did spend a small fortune in ebay for it got carried away!!

cheers all

dan

ok, so for power, i would just pick off from another gauge +ve. for earth, just go to metal. for the tacho part. you use the alternator for the revs. just run off from the voltage reg on the back of the alternator.

pretty sure it is the voltage reg post. if not, then it is the other small post on the alternator. they use phase for the revs. i will go out and look at my 300 tomorrow and look. you will need to run a wire through the bulkhead from the alternator if there is not one already, which i would say there is not one.

happy new year, richard

Rev counter will need an earth, ign live feed and a connection to the W treminal on the alternator. Your vehicle may be too old to have a W terminal - it is an AC output rather than DC. Frequency increases with engine speed. Do a search on the forum there are loads of posts for fitting tachos and what the W terminal looks like or even to make your own.

The clock will need a perm live and earth. There will be a perm live to one of the connections to the ignition switch or the hazard warning light. Fit a 1 amp fuse to your new feed.

hi dan

i have fitted a tacho to my defender. what these boys say.

i took the power from the ignition. if you turn your ingition of and find the wire that turns the ingition of when you unplug it.

then i wired it to that one so then i turn in on the tacho come on.

i put both earths on the steerring collom as it was not to far to take the wires.

and when it work. you have to adjust the idle on the tacho (not sure if you need to on gen tachos)

but mine sits at about 780-800rpm on idle

hope this helps

cheers

sam