Lightened flywheel

rusty_wingnut

I have had some thoughts regarding the clutch and flywheel setup on my 90. I fancy having the flywheel lightened, to get a slightly faster pickup time and without costing too much in the way of torque. My 90 has a VNT so produces a fair bit of power at lower revs than a normal 300tdi and I wonder if lightening the flywheel will be beneficial?

This might be a bit of waste of time potentially but might also give me a larger range of useable revs.

I've got a "weightened" flywheel because of the way my autobox conversion is done - the flex plate and torque converter are bolted to the flywheel. No noticeable difference in pickup when the engine's revved in neutral. Take your toolbox out instead and leave your spare wheel at home. The brakes will work better then too!

Take your toolbox out instead and leave your spare wheel at home.

Of all the ways to save weight, those 2 options sound like the least appealing options :ph34r: .

As mentioned before, a lightened flywheel would be of no advantage, unless you are doing comp safary, maybe.

Daan