Replacing the lift pump

disco_al

Hi all,

Let's put this one out to the general forum guru's and see what we get shall we.

Would it be possible to replace the cam driven lift pump with a more reliable electric pump?

I can't see any problem to this, apart from getting one with a reasonable flow rate for diesel (which is of course slightly harder to pump tham petrol)

My main reason for asking is that my mate's Defender appears to eat lift pumps every six months or so and we can't work out why.......

no, they don't come in a blue box, lol, they come in a green one. i'm not suspecting the quality of the pumps, as we have tried two different manufacturers to try and eliminate that problem. my suspocion is that it's picking up rubbish from inside the tank, and killing the pumps.

I know a few people who have tdi'd their range rovers and just used the standard petrol facet one linked to the standard cam lift pump seems to work fine.

Have you taken any of the dead pumps apart to see how their failing? there pretty much the same design since the series vehicles and should be pretty reliable.

no, they don't come in a blue box, lol, they come in a green one. i'm not suspecting the quality of the pumps, as we have tried two different manufacturers to try and eliminate that problem. my suspocion is that it's picking up rubbish from inside the tank, and killing the pumps.

if it's a disco it should have an inline sedimentor near the A frame inside the o/s/r chassis rail.

I believce a genuine pump has a removable top on it, these can be cleaned out easily.

The mechanical pump is merely a plunger driven off the cam lobe. If these are not surviving, surely an Electric Pump isn't going to fare any better at best?

The stock tdi pump has no filter in it, whereas a facet pump has a gauze to stop carp getting in to it, so at least you can clear it out.

I believce a genuine pump has a removable top on it, these can be cleaned out easily.

That's right, on mine you can even remove the plunger mechanism without physically removing the pump from the engine.

The stock tdi pump has no filter in it, whereas a facet pump has a gauze to stop carp getting in to it, so at least you can clear it out.

I know the older pumps like on my 2.25 have a sediment filter. Do the mechanical TDi pumps lack this? :huh: