RRC Project

Dunc

Right then, what might amount to a bunch of crazy ideas but i'm wondering about something.

As we know, the Disco shared a chassis (bar a few mounting points) with the Rangey.

I'm told that the later small-pcd axles on the D2 can be retro fitted to the D1, although i don't know how true this is.

If it is true, ergo D2 small-pcd axles can be retrofitted to RRC.

As the wheelbase is the same and (as hypothesised above) the axles fit, then it should be a relatively simple process to take a write-off Td5 Disco and steal its engine, gearbox/transfer box, props and axles, loom and ancills and whack them into said RRC.

You've then got a vehicle with power of a V8 but all the economic and waterproof benefits of a diesel.

I appreciate that for the same money you could just buy a D2 Td5 but that's not the point. I like Rangeys!

The Td5 lump in the lighter RRC should be an absolute stormer, and with the clever electronics in the D2 it should go even more anywhere than before.

So, am i bonkers or what?

there was a write up on here (i think) or it may have been another forum about a guy in france who did this, and it was a fantastic job he made of it. will try to find the link.

Cool, link would be good mate.

I did do a search, but didn't find anything.

I've read it (what i can) but it's damned difficult to figure out exactly what he means because he keeps referring to his photos; eg "i did x like this", and the fecking photos will not present themselves to me!

I'm going to start looking for write-off Td5 commercial Discos and see what sort of money they're making. That will let me know if the project is feasible for me.

DII has a pivot at the chassis end of the radius arms and uses them front and rear with panhard (I think at both ends)

Completely different to RRC.

So no hockey sticks then?

That would suggest that the axle swap wouldn't be so easy either, which might explain why less people have done it.

I don't want to do a whole body-onto-chassis swap, because they brings all sorts of SVA/'Q' plate implications.

Ah well, was only an idea.

Now, that new TdV8... ;)

Yes there are hockey sticks - both ends!! (Also known as radius arms!!)

Sorry, i seem to have exposed a gap in my knowledge! :blush:

I thought it's hockey sticks at the front and the long pointy efforts (trailing arms?) that go into the doughnuts in the elephant's ears at the back?

So what you're saying is; the D2 has front ends at the front and at the back, with no long point efforts, doughnuts and elephant's ears?

as the basic d2 shell is loosly based on the range rover classic then it would be a straight swap and a little shortening of the rear chassis as for the suspension it is total different due to the axles being wider and the radius arms are mounted front and rear out board of the chassis on atotaly different bracket setup to the d1 the rear is located by a watts linkage to improve rear axle location and stability as for the sva it would be still classed as a d2 with a four door body