New MOT (Class 7 )

92a

Has anyone had to take their series landrover for a class 7 mot? I read somewhere that if V5 says 3500Kgs we need a class 7 or change the GVW but cannot find correct weight for 11a 88" Hard top Any ideas or advice? :unsure:

Has anyone had to take their series landrover for a class 7 mot? I read somewhere that if V5 says 3500Kgs we need a class 7 or change the GVW but cannot find correct weight for 11a 88" Hard top Any ideas or advice? :unsure:

My original 1965 owners book gives a kerbwieght (tools, fuel, but no driver) of 1488kg for the petrol 88 "station wagon" and 1577kg for the diesel, with a maximum of driver, 6 passengers and 45kg load. Given that LR seem to indicate a person weighs 100kg, this gives GVWs of 2233kg and 2312kg. I can scan the page if you need it?

Some further reading on this in this topic - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=50739&view=&hl=mot%20revenue%20weight&fromsearch=1

The weight 'used' by the DVLA in the V5 is the 'revenue weight' meaning the gross vehicle weight - the maximum fully loaded permitted weight.

Each vehicle seems to have it's own rating, mine a 98 110 has no entry in the V5 but 3050kg on the plate, which equates to 300tdi 110 Hardtop, as my vehicle was when first registered.

Now converted to a CSW the revenue weight should be 2950kg, putting it in the Class4 MOT bracket. I am going to see if my friendly MOT garage will check it's status!

As for Series vehicles it's likely to be the 109's that may fall foul of the changes.

Further reading here - http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/motclass.htm

John

Hi

Weights used for MOT are from the VIN plate and relate to DGW

Class 4 : Goods vehicles upto 3000Kgs dgw

Class 7 : Goods vehicles 3000Kgs upto and including 3500Kgs

If its got windows in the sides then it don't matter what the weight is only the seating capacity

Class 4: upto 8 passenger seats

Class 4: 9-12 passenger seats (private use only)

Class 5: 13 or more passenger seats

HOWEVER if it is a goods vehicle then it will be a dual purpose vehicle and a class 4

Dual Purpose:Goods vehicles between 3000-3500Kgs

Carries passenger and goods/burden of any descripition and

All wheel drive (permanent or selectable)

Unladen weight less than 2040Kgs ( this has been removed by special notice eventhough its still in the book as they are looking to remove dual purpose alltogether-but don't hold your breath)

Couple of links for you

Classes:

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/tgs0a000102.htm

Dual Purpose:

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/tgs0a000103.htm

Hope this helps and is not too confusing

As always with VOSA don't hold your breath, it will be coming, not necessarily this year and not necessarily the full whole hog removal, it might be a watered down version to keep sections of the trade happy, who knows...... anyway whats the problem with a class 7 MOT the only difference is the tyre load index, speed ratings, and brake test calculations that use the dgw but do get the benifit of the unladen brake test figs? ok it costs £3.70 more but thats if they charge full wack.

we charge the same for 4 or 7 , funnily most stations around us send their class 7s to us as we are one of the only class 7 stations in our area. The use of dgw for brake calculations make it quite hard for some vans to pass brake efficiency. It can be a close run thing with quite alot of vehicles passing on having locked wheels above 50% more than on their actual readings

we charge the same for 4 or 7 , funnily most stations around us send their class 7s to us as we are one of the only class 7 stations in our area. The use of dgw for brake calculations make it quite hard for some vans to pass brake efficiency. It can be a close run thing with quite alot of vehicles passing on having locked wheels above 50% more than on their actual readings

Don't forget the unladen brake requirements for class 7's that is, when both front wheels lock and each of the rear wheels give a minimum of 100kgs the brake performance is met.

• 3 weeks later...

My original 1965 owners book gives a kerbwieght (tools, fuel, but no driver) of 1488kg for the petrol 88 "station wagon" and 1577kg for the diesel, with a maximum of driver, 6 passengers and 45kg load. Given that LR seem to indicate a person weighs 100kg, this gives GVWs of 2233kg and 2312kg. I can scan the page if you need it?

Hi, ive got to change the wait on 3 of my land rovers, could you sent me a copy of the original Manual page to alexanderlandy@yahoo.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...