Belts on a 3.9?

Andrew Cleland

Perhaps foolishly we're planning on driving the 110 to Italy in a few months time, so I'm spending some time fixing annoyances. One of which is a squeaking belt on the 3.9i (ex-92 RRC, hence this forum). The problem is that I'm trying to work out whether the belts are right and what belts I need. All the RAVE manuals seem to be for the serpentine front-end, so aren't much use.

As it stands it has a big multi-groove crankshaft pulley with a V-belt running from one groove to the water pump, with a tensioner - this I think is fine. Then it has a second V-belt on another groove running to the PAS pump - again I think this is correct. The alternator is driven by a long ribbed belt from the crankshaft to the alternator (on the top-right as you face the engine) which seems to touch against a second pulley on the front of the PAS pump on the way to and from the alternator. This is the belt I'm suspicious about, as from what I can make out in the Haynes BoL the alternator should be driven by a short V-belt from the front of the PAS pump, not from the crankshaft - but the pulley on the alternator is a ribbed one and the pulley on the PAS pump is the width of a ribbed belt but fairly smooth, although it has slight grooves worn into it by the existing belt. The aircon has been removed, so there's no drive for a compressor.

Does this sound like the right belt setup or is it, as I have a feeling, a bit of a mash-up of a V-belt type engine with serpentine PAS pump and alternator pulleys?

Can post a photo if it helps!

Cheers,

AndyC.

You say ribbed belt... do you mean a multi-V belt, or just one with teeth along it's length? 

Standard is as you and Haynes think, belt from crank to PAS, and then another from PAS to alternator, the 'spare' groove in the crank now being used to power the alternator is for the air con which has been removed!

Put your location in your profile, someone somewhere very close to you may have a set of belts they don't need any more ;)

You say ribbed belt... do you mean a multi-V belt, or just one with teeth along it's length? 

Standard is as you and Haynes think, belt from crank to PAS, and then another from PAS to alternator, the 'spare' groove in the crank now being used to power the alternator is for the air con which has been removed!

Put your location in your profile, someone somewhere very close to you may have a set of belts they don't need any more ;)

It's a multi-V belt (flat, with grooves along it's length). So it sounds like I'm after a short multi-V belt to run between the alternator and the PAS pump?

Andy.

P.S. Profile updated! ;-)

Hello,

you are searching for:

http://www.famousfour.co.uk/new_parts/part_info.php?partID=4165

It is driven directly from crank pulley, just pass( touch) PAS pulley onto alternator pulley. It is one of inventions in LR...:) pretty standard in RRC and Disco1 around 93 - 94( because i have two of them and both are the same).

Hmm, so it's actually correct. Seems like a bit of a crazy idea to have belts running touching other pulleys, but hey, it's Land Rover...

Ah, makes more sense now the multi-V belt is involved... :) The transition from non-serp to serp seemed to take for ever with an infinite number of minute steps and variations in between!

On the completely non-serp 3.9 it was as described above ;)

Oh, and ta for updating your profile, shame the belts I have are no good to you :(

I have the same setup on mine and its a pain in the A****. Couple of things that considerably improved my set up were:

Check that the tensioner for the water pump belt is in alignment with the pump and crank pulleys as it can be moved easily towards/away from the engine on its pivot pin when the tensioner in undone. I found that this belt runs quieter with a fair amount of tension applied - experiment to suit.

Now The alternator belt!

Now the LR procedure is to slacken the alternator belt and tension the PAS belt first, then tension the alternator. The PAS tension bolt in at 6 O'Clock under the pump and is i think 1/2" or 9/16" bolt. Easier to get to from under the car. What might have happened is that when tensioning the PAS belt leverage has been applied to pump body bending it in its carrier frame resulting in the alternator guide pulley taking on a slight angle that constantly wants to move the alternator belt sideways.

On my PAS pump the trick is to use a spanner on the mounting lug that the tensioner bolt pases thru' (its effectively a threaded nut welded onto the frame that the bolt screws into) and use this to tension the belt. It works very well for me.

Spend some time visually checking the alignment of the alternator guide pulley to see whether its out of alignment as mentioned above.

If the PAS belt is too thin/fat this will affect its rotational speed and create a differential speed with the alternator belt. God only knows what sort of calculations they did to work out the effective diameters between the two different belts! it must have involved massive amounts of Tea breaks and sticky buns being consumed. It is an engineering no-no what they did and completely unnecessary.

Thanks everyone - that's all useful information.

On one hand I'm tempted to swap the pulley on the PAS pump for the old-style V-belt one and go back to the 3.5 layout with a short PAS pump - alternator belt and do away with the nasty alternator belt/PAS pulley tango. On the other hand I like the fact that at the moment the water pump, PAS pump and alternator all have their own belts, and I suppose there's merit in keeping things standard.

I shall probably renew the belts either way as I rebuilt the engine last year and didn't bother changing them then, so probably overdue.

Cheers,

Andy