Help! No tempsender wires. Sheared temp sensor!

Hi people. New to me 95 300 TDI Defender.

Temp gauge not working. Lifted bonnet to check wiring to senders and discovered that there are no wires or connectors in the engine bay whatsoever that go to the two temp senders on the thermostat housing.

Also, there is a third temp sensor that plugs into the end of the cylinder head. This sensor seems to have sheared off and half is in the head and the other half is in the sensor plug. I got an easyout on the snapped off head part and got it to loosen, but when coolant started to escape i wound it back in again. I now am driving around with an easyout screwed into this snapped off sensor in the sensor hole!

Went to Harwoods Landrover and Camberly auto in Chichester, both did not stock this exact part. They had different versions of the same thing. One version had a fuel injector type 2 pin connection on it, another version had 1 spade terminal on it. I would have taken the single spade version but they didnt stock it either!

I have viewed the wiring diagram for the 300 TDI on this forum. It shows a Green and Blue wire going to the coolant temp sensor. I think im right in saying that that wire goes to my sheared sensor. Correct?

First question: What is the purpose of this sensor?

Second question: What is the purpose of the other 2 sensors/switches on the thermostat housing?

post-21452-126365015913_thumb.jpg

I had virtually the same problem with mine. Luckily the screw extractor bites well into the brass casing and it should come out fairly easily. Just make sure you get the correct temp sensor, I think you need the green one(for a 300Tdi) and I believe the part No is AMR1425. If you get the wrong one it will fit but your gauge will not show the correct temp.

Malcolm