Welding Face Shields - My Experiences.

Astro_Al

There seem to be a few people tooling up for welding, so I thought I'd share my experiences of shields to hopefully save you guys some wasted money.

Until recently I'd been using el-cheapo welding shields (free with welders) - fixed shade glass windows requiring manual lowering having set up for a weld. I was finding it increasingly frustrating that I had to set up for a weld and keep a hand free to then lower the mask (my right hand was never exactly where I left it when I started welding!). I'd tried the trick of setting the tension on the mask/headband pivots just right so that you can 'nod' the mask down into place and keep both hands on the job, but it invariably went wrong - mask not landing in the correct place, my hands moving when I nodded, or whatever.

I thought I'd try a cheapo auto-darkening mask, and bought one for about 40 quid.

It was carp. Absolute waste of money. It rarely even triggered (often due to my hand or the gas nozzle shading the spark from the detector in the front of the helmet). After really screwing my eyes up a few times I gave up and went back to the manual fixed shade basic mask. It wasn't always convenient to set up for a weld so that the detector was in direct line of the spark, and even when it did trigger (very rarely), it was slow and I nearly always got flashed.

While discussing welding, biscuits, russian swamps and bacon sarnies in Jez's workshop (Dollythelw) the other day, he recommended his Speedglas mask. I was still looking for a decent solution, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Bloody fantastic. I bought the mega-blingy one (9002X, I think) with the large viewing area and various bells 'n whistles (do it once and do it properly, I thought), and it has completely changed the whole experience. I still set up and then flip the mask down with my left hand through habit, then laugh at my stupidity and do it properly with both hands. :rolleyes: I never get flashed, I can constantly see the wire and the 'target' (before and during), it works first time every time, great adjustability.

This is certainly one place I would say that it is absolutely worth spending the cash (ok, it's not cheap - but nor are replacement eyes...) and getting a decent solution. Fantastic - an absolute pleasure. Cheers Jez. ;)

Al. :)

I've never tried an auto-darkening mask, but I have one with a direct-vision slot at the top of the window, so you pull the mask down over your face, set up through the slot and then just tilt your head slightly as you start welding. It's only as good as your timing but nothing ever went wrong with it...

I bought one of the el-cheapo ones from e-blag, and it does me just fine. The plastic has a very cheap, flimsy feel to it, but the actual auto-darkening bit is just fine. I was always told to get one with an adjustable sensitivity and darkness control. I did, and can adjust it so that it will trigger simply by looking at a florescent light tube.

If I was going to be welding day after day, I would definately splash out a bit more. All I do is the odd bit of repair work, and a little bit of fabrication now and then, so the cheap one is fine.

no worries fella - hats are replaceable but since they stopped me rooting round the abbatoirs bin I found eyeballs increasingly difficult to replace.....

get a spare replacement front screen, if you do you will never damage the original one, if you dont I will guarantee the original will be opaque in under 4 days <_<

see also here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=4343

It arived quite quickly, box printed in USA but Engrish instructions lead me to believe is it made in China.

I have used it with ali welding, darkens as it should, has adjustable filter so much better than the old hand held shield. I have not having tried an expesnive one so can't compare - have read since that this cheap one is not that great mind but an improvement on what I had, think I said that aalready albeint in a different way. :unsure:

Evening,

Has anyone got a UK supplier website or prices? There's no prices on the Speedglas site.

Cheers

Luke

I have an account at BOC (for my gas / wire etc), that's where I got the face shield.

I'm not sure of the price as I got a discount, but the range of models/prices is pretty wide. Fixed shade models are quite a bit cheaper (I went for variable), and the larger 'window' also makes it more expensive. I guess the range is *roughly* 100 to 250 GBP?

Anyone near Southampton try Hampshire Welding Products too, I've found the owner to be most helpful.

Al.