Light upgrades or improvements on standard?

Im fed up with keep having to unscrew the wipac covers on the side, rear and indicators and cleaning up the connections or just emptying them of water. What have you guys done to improve this situation?

I already have replaced most bulbs with leds so blowing the bulbs not the issue but I wondered if the NAS lights prevented water ingress better or maybe the later 300tdi lights (with a plug on the back?)?

Or do I just need to silicone the bugger$!

I've drilled a 4mm hole at the 6o'clock position just in from the edge to let any water drain out only on the side/tail/indicators, headlights seem to be fine.

Hadn't thought about it like that, was too busy trying to keep the water out! :closedeyes:

My headlights are ok too, little bit of ingress now and then but a smear of silicone and job done there I reckon.

Hadn't thought about it like that, was too busy trying to keep the water out! :closedeyes:

My headlights are ok too, little bit of ingress now and then but a smear of silicone and job done there I reckon.

I'm not sure you can keep it out forever, so i'm with Ralph. My lights have drains on the rear - the rubbers all have a little hole in them to allow drainage. Didnt help that some idiot whos worked on it in the past had installed new lights on one side with the holes uppermost so they fill up but dont drain!!! - fixed that by turning the housing so the hole is now at the bottom and been fine since.

I'd agree, water will get anywhere over time, so sealing things up sometimes makes it worse as the water can't get out. stick a hole in the bottom and they should be fine.

This just made me giggle: "Didnt help that some idiot whos worked on it in the past had installed new lights on one side with the holes uppermost so they fill up but dont drain!!!"

and i was telling my other half, she suggested putting a hole in the tops as well 'in case they get put on wrong again'

i give up, i really do.... :rolleyes:

"Well my plan is to put wide-angle led bulbs in NAS housings then try filling one with acrylic resin by drilling a hole in the bottom to see if there are any long-term issues."

NAS lights have always had a problem with condenstion forming inside, in fact I drilled tiny holes at the lowet point of the lense on my NAS lights years ago to prevent this happening (it worked).

I am just fitting full LED NAS lights (not normal ones fitted with an LED 'bulb'), these are totally sealed so we shall see how they perform.