td5 nonstarter

oap

This is the first time it has refused to start for me in the three years I have owned it . It is a 1999 110 and the fuel line (injectors pump and filters ) is in good order and it has a half a tank of fuel. I think because it was pretty cold this morning that the glow plugs may be the problem although its been much colder over the past month and it always started all be it a little slower than normal. Can anybody tell me what I must remove to get to the glow plugs and what the new ones should be tightened to, thanks

Doubt if it's the glow plugs. Does it turn over OK? Does the MIL light come on? Really should get it plugged in to a Nanocom or similar to read faults before swapping bits blindly. Failure of one of the sensors will stop a Td5 working. Also a starter motor on it's way out can affect the Crankshaft sensor, it's close enough for current spikes to affect it apparantly.

Doubt if it's the glow plugs. Does it turn over OK? Does the MIL light come on? Really should get it plugged in to a Nanocom or similar to read faults before swapping bits blindly. Failure of one of the sensors will stop a Td5 working. Also a starter motor on it's way out can affect the Crankshaft sensor, it's close enough for current spikes to affect it apparantly.

Thanks Sean for the reply. It turns over fine and I drained the battery this morning tring to start it. I took it out and put it on charge for a few hours and at about 4 oclock today it started first time. MIL? if thats the heater light then yeah that works, it stays on for abour 20 seconds and then I turn it over when its very cold it takes a bit longer to fire though. A nanocom means main dealers for me I'm afraid. So it started no problem when it was 7 or 8 degrees warmer and a fresh charged battery, does this mean thats its hardly a sensor problem?

MIL light looks like an engine with a cross through it, you're obviously not getting that up (happens with ECU trouble, sensor failure or immobiliser problems). Doesn't mean it's not a sensor problem, there is a combined inlet air temperature and pressure sensor on the inlet manifold that could be misreading. There's also an ambient temp sensor on the filter housing I think. If either are mis-reading I suspect they may not be firing up the heater plugs? It has to be very cold before a Td5 struggles to start, mine was OK down to -10 or so on first turn of the key with no waiting for the glow plug light.

I'm no expert (plenty of real ones on here ;) ) but it looks like you need to get plugged in. Doesn't have to be a main dealer, a diesel diagnostic and repair place should at least be able to read the ECU as will many ordinary workshops.

Just a couple of points (I know a little, but far from an expert..!)- The Td5 ECU's are very susceptible to voltage drops, ie if cranking on a poor battery the battery voltage on the ecu may be too low to correctly fire injectors etc. I would try a known good battery first. As already mentioned, the td5 should start pretty well after cranking,even with limited / no heater plugs.

In nearly all cases, when a sensor gives "dodgy" readings, or becomes disconnected, the ecu will use a default value, eg if engine temp sensor was broken, if will default to normal running temperature, which in most cases will be fine, but may cause slight cold start difficulties, but shouldn't stop starting. The only sensor to my knowledge that stops it dead is the crank sensor (Will trigger a fault readable on diagnostics).

I would try a really good battery first - (beg/borrow/steal before buying!!)

It might help to update your profile with your rough location at the very least. There are plenty of very friendly and helpful people on here with access to diagnostic equipment.

From what you describe it does sound like you need to beg a good battery to try. Remember this is the time of your that a weak lead acid battery will start to have the water seperate out and freeze causing lack of available starting power or none at all.

Just my 2 penneth

Thanks for the replies lads and Ill update my profile straight away. I will stick a big tractor battery in it tommorow but it starts now no problem as the weather has gotten milder so how will I know if thats the problem or not. The battery has never let me down yet but I think it is the orginal one so proberly at the end of its life.

Just touching on the battery issue modern batteries in my experience tend to do that, without warning they just die, I had a simalare problem earlier in the year, once the battery is dead the vehicle thinks it has been nicked so will imobilse itself, the key will still bring all the lights up but the red engine with a jagged line through will light up to (on the lower half of the light panel close to glow plug light)

I've have a similar problem where I've been recommended to have a look at the battery as it may seem fine but isn't able to turn the engine over quick enough to fire up, perhaps I should look at putting a 7.5 ton truck battery on it maybe the way to go, I had one on another truck before and I had no problems getting that thing started(1989 110 with a TD in it) in a morning regardless of how cold it was

John

Hi,

Just a long shot, but my 2004 TD5 is an absolute blinder of a starter, hot or sub zero. Wait for the glow plug light to go off, a quick flick of the key and she's off. BUT three or four times since I've had her (July '09) it mysteriously will not start for no apparent reason, but just crank and crank; but up with the seatbase, into the seat box, (and here's the serious fault diagnosis bit) wiggle the plugs a bit and check there's no oil from the loom, turn it over and Hey Presto, off she goes again........