About PTO gearbox for fairey winch

Finn

Hi Guys,

I have recently obtained this Fairey winch:

11c8jj.jpg

Now I need a PTO gearbox to drive this winch on my series III 109 4 cyl. diesel.

I have looked around here and there.. and came across this add on fleabay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120522965130&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have send the bloke a message, basicly the same as my post here.

Will this PTO drive my winch on my vehicle? He sayed yes (but he also sayed that he is missing the linkage between PTO and winch), but I have seen other fairey winches with totally different looking pto gearboxes.

So, to be sure I ask you guys..

Cheers,

Finn

Will this PTO drive my winch on my vehicle? He sayed yes (but he also sayed that he is missing the linkage between PTO and winch), but I have seen other fairey winches with totally different looking pto gearboxes.

So, to be sure I ask you guys..

Cheers,

Finn

No, it won't.

That PTO faces the back of the vehicle, you need one that faces towards the engine. You also need the shafts, universal joints and bearings that connect the PTO to the winch: The manual for it is here .

Thats what I tought..

Thanks for the manual!

I have seen simmilar PTO gearboxes for LR 110/90.. are they the same as the one for the series III? (they have to be different, as they have different transfer boxes. But how can I see the difference between them?)

Thanks again!

Finn

I thought I recalled some for sale adverts you might be interested in, so went looking.

They don't always say if the item has sold, so you might have to PM the seller, but also note the dates involved.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=49630

This is the one that had stuck in my memory. Note it has been sold, but the pictures of the modified linkage may be useful. If it was me, I'd store the pictures on my own PC just in case they disappear from the Forum, as the assembly is probably unique, but is also competition proved.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=44793

I have no actual experience of this mechanical drive arrangement, standard or modified.

Good Luck

None of the ones linked above will fit.

You need a drop PTO to fit a series gearbox. Nothing else will do. An LT230 one will NOT fit.

You also need the shafts, u/j's brackets etc, but be careful as there were lots of different ones and they never seem to fit right! With the sad demise of Phil Gordon, spares for these are now more or less unobtainable.

Jon