Communication device

CountryGent

Hi,

I really didn't know where to put this so as Defender is my normal home I thought I'd risk for a biscuit (moderator feel free to move most appropriate locationsmile.gif)

Like most of you I have a mobile phone Nothing special in that I know. However I use to buy for email, internet connectivity, 3G etc etc but recently I have been thinking of changing to a more 'rugged' outdoor phone for when green laning, motor crossing, mountain biking using the trusty 110 to carry the bikes, dogs and other kit, get wet and muddy etc. Now I know that if I'm careful I can be careful and not drop in mud, drop it concrete floors, into puddles but it does happen and after 2 or 3 phones it gets expensive. To that end I have been looking at getting a phone which is IP rated and MILspec'd. The two in the frame so far are the Samsung Explorer and Sonim 3. The reason for the Samsung is it's a good price and reasonable functionality and the Sonim a little ore expensive but with the GPS functionality. Both get good reviews but I wondered if any of you had experience with using either phones, problems with the software, reliability etc?

Let me know....

Thanks in advance biggrin.gif

The problem i can envisage is meeting your existing spec list. Your going to find it hard to get a ruggedised phone that will happily do your emails/3g internet etc.

The Sonim mentioned above is very lacking in those departments, and the Samsung appears to be slightly better but still doesnt have 3G, and theres very little mentioned about its browser and email capabilities.

I guess one option would be to use the outdoor phone only for outdoors, either on PAYG or a very cheap contract, and keep your existing phone for everything else?

The problem i can envisage is meeting your existing spec list. Your going to find it hard to get a ruggedised phone that will happily do your emails/3g internet etc.

The Sonim mentioned above is very lacking in those departments, and the Samsung appears to be slightly better but still doesnt have 3G, and theres very little mentioned about its browser and email capabilities.

I guess one option would be to use the outdoor phone only for outdoors, either on PAYG or a very cheap contract, and keep your existing phone for everything else?

Hi I should have made it clear that the 'outdoor' phone is not expected to perform or deliver in the same way as the feature laiden gadget phones. My spec list only includes a camera, texting, blue tooth any thing else is a bonus...so yes I will keep a outdoor phone and a regular phone for townie stuff wink.gif

I was just after any one who had experience of the Sonim's software, functionality etc...

I knackered my Sonim badged JCB phone in the first 12 months, so bought an iPhone and have had that for 18 months now and its still pristine, just buy a couple of cases to suit every occasion. I am going to buy one of those cases Chris linked I think to complete my set.

Ben

Or go real tough and get a Getac PS236

PS236_front_gray_orange.gif

http://us.getac.com/...6_overview.html

Yes er certainly looks a good phone spec wise....backed up by a nice price of around $1700 for the standard and HSDPA at $2300!! A LITTLE out of my budgetbiggrin.gif

SO if any one wants to but one for me to trial for the benefit of other LR4x4 forum readers just send the Paypal details to...

Thanks though a very worthy phone with decent set of features wrapped up in a tough case..

Cheers

• 1 month later...