TDi idle-on

Sabre

Why would a 300 TDi run on after turning the ignition off and the key is removed ? Then it idles for another approx 10 seconds before it stops

Would that be a problem with the solenoid ? If so, can the solenoid be fixed, or is replacement the only way out ?

Thanks in advance

JZ

I would also check that there is no voltage at the solenoid after the key is turned off. I've seen in the past voltage leaking through the alternator, through the alt warning light and holding the solenoid open for a while.

Just a thought

Mark

It is also slightly possible that you can still see the swarf slther with the solenoid removed. If this is the case then it may be pulled out with long nose pliers.

Way to check if its electrical leakage is just to pull the wire off the stop solenoid when the engine is at idle. If the engine cuts out properly every time then there is no need to remove the solenoid at all.

to remove the soleniod you'll need a 8mm socket for the electrical spade terminal nut & a moddified 24mm open end spanner for the soleniod body, not much room to swing a full length spanner.

Tell me about it, I had a nightmare replacing mine. Thats the trick is it, chop a spanner in half? I replaced mine about 3 or 4 months ago only to have it develope the same problem. I've been stalling now for ages as I can't face the job again :( . I bought the replacement off ebay was I just unlucky or are some better than others.

Sorry to hijack the thread but may prevent someone else making the same mistake.

Cheers

Chris