Repairing a broken prop

Ruuman

Meaning to ask about this along time ago, when I first bought my truck it had a nasty clonk coming from some where. I thought it probably just a combination of worn diff's and UJ's. The next day I was going to to pickup some filters ect to start tidying it up, then BANG!!!

post-3730-126553368363_thumb.jpg

Annoyingly I'd dismissed the rear prop as the issue as it was an 8month old Gywn Lewis Hi angle jobbie. Turns out the previous owner had never bothered greasing it.

post-3730-126553367307_thumb.jpg

I've now finally got some time to look at it, when it broke the UJ holder at the end of the prop struck the chassis and took a lump out of the cup the UJ sits in. Now I was considering rebuilding the damaged area with weld and the carefully die grinding it back to shape. Am I just wasting my time here as it's cast steel, or is there a better option?

post-3730-126553366127_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ruu

Well that's the first prop I've seen go like that!

I think rebuilding will not ptovide a strong long term solution.

How about contact Gwyn and see if he can provide a repair service, that's to say, weld a new end into the drive tube. From everything I have read about Gwyn I would think he would find a way to help you out.

I'm sure I've seen an ad in our local papers for a propshaft clinic in the East Grinstead area. That could be an alternative.