smoke problem

I will pull them out , on sunday and have a look.

Hi Chris

I have similar problem with my 200tdi, smokes like hell from cold (white/blue smoke) for a minute or two then clears and runs ok. I know I have a bent conrod but I'm not sure this is causing the smoke. Was thinking maybe valve seals as injectors have been tested ok. As I have a spare set of glow plugs I might pop those in and see if there's any change.

Mark

After a chat with a land rover guy... a leaky head gasket could be the cause.

i have an oil leak from somewhere, not yet looked at.

apparently the head gaskets are a weak spot aroud no. 4 cylinder, where the head bolt goes through an ali part or sumfin.

what happends is when its cold. looses compression on number 4 then when the metal warms up. its ment to seal it..all down to head bolt torque or sumfin,

Anybody else heard anything like this.?

200 tdi Defender,

When cold it smokes and almost sounds like its miss fireing.

when warm engine runs sweet. and doesnt smoke

any idea's?

... I thought that was normal, that it was the nature of a diesel engine that it didn't run efficiently until it was warm. Am is mistaken?

In my experience in 20 to 30 degree weather I get a couple of puffs of smoke for 30 seconds then its fine, in 10 degrees or less it smokes for a minute or five.(2.5L NA) I've heard white smoke = water that is or has gotten into the cylinder, black smoke is unburned fuel, and blue is oil. Don't have any conclusive experience with this though.

Hi Chris

I know I have a bent conrod but I'm not sure this is causing the smoke.

Mark

A bent conrod will almost certainly cause it. It will have the effect of lowering the compression ratio and you will not get complete combustion, especially when the engine is cold. Unburnt fuel on a diesel = white smoke.

Mark.

A bent conrod will almost certainly cause it. It will have the effect of lowering the compression ratio and you will not get complete combustion, especially when the engine is cold. Unburnt fuel on a diesel = white smoke.

Mark.

Yeah that makes sense. Doesn't run too bad when warm. I've been meaning to fix it for a while but I think I'm going to get the engine reconditioned as I can't remove the conrod withoput splitting engine and gearbox.

Just a case of saving the pennies before I send it off to Turners.

Mark