Heritage CDs No Longer Available from Gaydon.

David Sparkes

I don't know how long this statement has been on the Gaydon website shop http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/shop/

As an aside, it seems 'standard' that management statements on websites are frequently not dated.

Presumably because the Management concerned don't want to show for how long they have been badly organised.

A bit of Honesty and Responsibility would not go amiss.

Anyway, the statement I found today.

Due to ongoing technical issues with the CDROMS which our supplier has been unable to remedy, we have now withdrawn them from sale at the Heritage Motor Centre. We do apologise for this inconvenience which, regrettably is beyond our control.

The failing supplier is Mark Greer Associates, whose contact points are:

Website: http://www.markgreer-associates.com/site/index.html

Phone: + 44 208 133 1996 (UK) ..... +1 816 925 0208 (USA)

Fax: + 44 845 127 4949 (UK) ..... +1 816 817 1806 (USA)

Email:

info@markgreer-associates.com ..... sales@markgreer-associates.com ..... support@markgreer-associates.com

I noticed a few weeks ago that the cd rom listings were gone from the Heritage site, but I was thinking that they were updating the site or something. :huh:

Shame to see them gone from there, now the prices on eBlag are going to shy rocket through the roof.

Todd.

The main problem is the pointlessly stupid Hexalock encryption of the PDF's. Ive had to keep an old virtual Windows XP partition up and running just for this. It won't work under any other OS, I've tried them all [it will run in an up to date virtual machine, but not in Windows 7's VirtualXP Mode]. Gits at Mark Greer told me this was by design, idiots. The encryption driver won't run on a 64bit OS, or with certain optical drives.

[small rant]

Yes, original CD's. I run a PC business and any knocked off software on the premises is a bad idea.

My big rant stands, it's not possible to get it working on 50% of modern OS's, especially 64bit ones, because the Hexalock encryption driver uses calls to the system core [which demand administrative privilege on 2000/XP], which are rightly blocked now in Vista and 7[for security reasons]. There was a Vista patch for this issue [provided by the creators of Hexalock], but it only works on 50% of systems.

Anything else is guesswork, as MGA are not helpful, competent, easy to contact or able to release a patch that works, support an OS after Windows XP, support any PDF reader after Acrobat7.

The Heritage CD's are also supplied for Triumph, Mini and many other makes and they're just as annoyed.

[/small rant]