Engine upgrade mods advise for 300 TDI

shauniedawn

Hiya.

I've a Jap import Discovery 300TDI County Auto.

I've had it a few years, it's in great nick, as you'd imagine, but it's a bit sluggish off the mark. Especially when towing.

Now I don't expect it to be a rocket ship, but it's significantly slower than my previous 200 TDI (manual) Disco, and my current 200 TDI 90/Defender.

Are there any modifications I could do (not at great expense!) that would improve this? Or is this the price to pay for the slush box?

I've had other autos (not Land Rover) and they've not been like this one.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Oh. And how do I edit the spelling error out of the title? Can't seem to do that!

Shaun

Hiya.

I've a Jap import Discovery 300TDI County Auto.

I've had it a few years, it's in great nick, as you'd imagine, but it's a bit sluggish off the mark. Especially when towing.

Now I don't expect it to be a rocket ship, but it's significantly slower than my previous 200 TDI (manual) Disco, and my current 200 TDI 90/Defender.

Are there any modifications I could do (not at great expense!) that would improve this? Or is this the price to pay for the slush box?

I've had other autos (not Land Rover) and they've not been like this one.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Shaun

Hi

Both of our Discos are Jap Auto imports, one of them has a full width intercooler (Allisport) and (Allisport) tuning module made a hell of a difference but not cheap new, i got mine from flea bay i paid £270 for them both but well worth it especially when towing.

As far as i know this is the only way to get more power easily with the EDC Autos.

REgards

Keith

You could try a De cat, blank the EGR, other than that then you are looking at intercooler upgrade, pump tweeks, turbo upgrade, depends on how much of your cash you want to part with?

Ian ;)

Hi,

You cannot tweak the pump on the EDC Auto thats why you need the tuning module, various companies make them.

Regards

Keith

So, as I don't want to spend anything - I could blank off the EGR valve as a first.

I've ran a few searches for this - can't find a bean :( - anyone know where it's covered?

And, can drop the exhaust off and cut out the cat. So that's a start.

Now, as for the module...

I can keep my eye out for a used Allisport one (don't like the new prices!). But what other makes/description do I search for?

Thanks for the help so far.

Shaun.

And, can drop the exhaust off and cut out the cat. So that's a start.

Just get a non cat front pipe, under fifty quid for a defender 110 300Tdi without the flexi, or about 30 quid more for the disco one with the flexi pipe.

EGR blanking is quick and easy (ebay for a kit :ph34r: ) or make your own, there are plenty of instructions on the web.

After you've done the EGR, whip the intercooler off and fill it with parrafin for a couple of hours, rinse, dry and refit. It's surprising how mucky they can be, especially if the EGR hasn't been working properly.

Other than that it's spending large money territory!

Steve.

No to ressurect a dead thread, but shaunie, you can find the exact same intercooler as the allisport one on ebay for about £160 delivered (postage is hefty from the US!)

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-RANGE-ROVER-300-tdi-INTERCOOLER-full-size_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b9ffb98dQQitemZ110494726541QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2638wt_1167

I'm gonna buy one myself once I can afford it.. I checked my engine code and found i didn't have either a cat or EGR, so i'm just gonna adjust turbo settings and get the uprated intercooler...

Thanks again for the suggestions.

I don't want to spend that kind of money - but it got me thinking...

Is there any fundamental reasons why you simply can't modify a water radiator into an intercooler? I presume it would only be a pressure thing - but a brass ended and soldered radiator shold be strong enough shouldn't it?

Cheers,

Shaun

hi

its more the internal design compared to the ability to survive the pressures, a cooling system operates at 1 bar as does a standard turbo set up. An intercooler needs to flow a large volume of air fairly quickly where as with a radiator it is designed to restrict the flow slightly to give more cooling effect. with this in mind fitting a rad as an intercooler i would imagine would lead to lots of turbo lag and reduced efficiency.

Matt

If you want to do it cheaply, get yourself to a breakers and find an intercooler from some other car.

2.8TD fronteras have reasonably big coolers, most newer vans and a lot of turbocharged cars do too. Probably cost you 20-30quid.

Grab some pipework while your there so you can knock up the pipes and plumb it in!

you can do fuelling upgrades without the need to spend money on some tuning module.

a) work out the hellectrickery of what the module does. There are some useful (but to me completely baffling) guides out there via google. So you could make one yourself. More than likely its just a variable resistor you;re buying anyway.

b) fit a mechanical fuel injection pump from manual tdi engine and then tweak the hell out of it in the normal way.