How to re-fit engine & box(es)

Hiya.

I've jut rebuilt my LT77 gearbox on my 200TDI 90 (new mainshaft and transfer gear).

On taking it all apart, I took the engine out first, and then the boxes as another piece.

As you know the gearbox/transfer box assembly is a very unbalanced lump, so I didn't really want to refit the way that I removed it/them.

So my plan is...

To jack the rear of the car up about 18" so the cars at a bit of an angle, and then put the whole (engine and gearboxes) thing in in one piece. I can see this ain't going to be a walk in the park due to the offset weight of the transfer box.

So, do you have any tips or suggestions?

My other thought was to drop the front axle out and fit from underneath - but that does look a bit close due to the engine mounts on the chassis sides and the injector pump. Again - any suggestions?

Cheers,

Shaun.

Hiya.

I've jut rebuilt my LT77 gearbox on my 200TDI 90 (new mainshaft and transfer gear).

On taking it all apart, I took the engine out first, and then the boxes as another piece.

As you know the gearbox/transfer box assembly is a very unbalanced lump, so I didn't really want to refit the way that I removed it/them.

So my plan is...

To jack the rear of the car up about 18" so the cars at a bit of an angle, and then put the whole (engine and gearboxes) thing in in one piece. I can see this ain't going to be a walk in the park due to the offset weight of the transfer box.

So, do you have any tips or suggestions?

My other thought was to drop the front axle out and fit from underneath - but that does look a bit close due to the engine mounts on the chassis sides and the injector pump. Again - any suggestions?

Cheers,

Shaun.

Hi

When i did my 110 300tdi i took the front wheels off, lowered the front down to the floor with blocks of wood to rest the discs on, then fitted the engine complete with gearbox, far easier i thought than trying to do them seperately.

Keith

Gearbox crossmember off; skate gearbox in under the vehicle; lift and bolt in to place; refit gearbox crossmember and support gearbox; refit engine.

I suspect the weight and length of the gearbox would make a combined engine/gearbox lift somewhat unbalanced. It could be difficult to manoeuvre within the confines of the engine bay and chassis.

Gearbox crossmember off; skate gearbox in under the vehicle; lift and bolt in to place; refit gearbox crossmember and support gearbox; refit engine.

I suspect the weight and length of the gearbox would make a combined engine/gearbox lift somewhat unbalanced. It could be difficult to manoeuvre within the confines of the engine bay and chassis.

we get v8's with auto's in and out :) the diesel is heavier than the v8, but i think this will work to your advantage for slinging.

depending on your engine crane setup, it's sometimes easier to lift it into the engine bay so it's nearly vertical. lower the transfer box onto a trolley then slide that back under the vehicle whilst lowering the engine. as you near the final position you will be able to jack the gearbox up and land the engine onto it's mounts. a bit fiddly this way, but not hard. once you've done it, you'll know where to put your slings next time :)

G

Hiya,

and thanks for the responses.

I guess that I was wanting to hear that it could be put in in one piece - and it seems possible from what's been said, so that's my first choice.

Now. If I was on a lift (which I don't have), I can see how it would be a fair bit easier to fit the engine and box first, fitting the transfer box using a transmission jack.

I'm not saying you can't do it on the floor using a trolley jack, but I can't see it being that easy due to the unbalanced nature of the transfer box.

If I had an engine crane, then I think I'd fit the gearbox and transfer box assembly as one piece. Fitting the engine last. I did think of making a frame that would sit inside the cab that I could use to hang a block and tackle from. But I decided against this as I thought there was too much fabrication involved. I also thought of putting a scaffolding pole through the open door windows and coming off that with the block and tackle. Would have to have made substantial pillars at each side of the car though. A bit too 'coggley' for my liking.

So. hopefully I'll get into the garage before the weekend to get prepared.

I lifted the motor off the floor tonight to see what angle the engine and box would hang at. I was pleased how level it hung, as I was expecting ti to be a bit lop sided.

Here's where I'm up to.

DSC_8979.jpg

DSC_8980.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give you an update

I don't seem to be getting a lot of time in the garage for a multitude of reasons (usually involving houses, kids , dogs and gardens!), so was chuffed to bits to get a full day to myself on Monday this week.

So. Let the car back down onto its wheels and went about fitting the engine and boxes in. I was fortunate that I didn't need to remove the wheels to get enough clearance. Nor did I have to jack the rear of the car up.

I dropped the motor down into the engine bay, picked up the transmission brake drum on a trolley jack and shuffled it all into place - letting the motor down, and jacking up the rear end in stages. It really did go very easy, (bearing in mind I was on my own too) and I would recommend doing it this way if you need to remove everything.

Cheers,

Shaun.