ABS, to frequent

wadey

Is there anything I can do to the Abs on my Disco, or Is there summut wrong with i

when descending a fairly steep track at low speed , Loosa stone rough surface, the ABS engages and makes it difficult to stop, a bit on the dangerous side , it has also happened when approaching a 't'junction on tarmac at low speed before and almost caused overshooting the junction,

can it be disconnected ,or is it a big job, I would be happier without it!!

Wade

Sounds like a fault for me, unless you drive REALLY heavy on the brakes or have really rubbish tyres...

I can't get mine to kick in on on tarmac, even wet tarmac, if I try (could be because my tyres are actually gripping though!).

On loose surfaces I'd expect it to come in. Are you using low box? Not sure if that disengages the ABS or not, but I know it certainly doesn't come on when I'm trialling (low box 1st) :ph34r: Are you on road tyres or have something chunkier on - this makes a big difference to your traction - an so the ABS.

If I hadn't tested the ABS on the recent ice I'd be asking if mine was working at all :lol:

Not sure what the fault could be if there is one (sure someone will be along soon who does), but it would be much better to get it fixed or look at your tyres rather than disconnect it.

it has also happened when approaching a 't'junction on tarmac at low speed before and almost caused overshooting the junction

sounds like a sensor fault to me. IIRC you can pull the relays from behind the glovebox, and the main abs fuses which disables the system altogether.

Hi,

If it was mine I would have a look at all four brakes since it is possible that one brake is snatching, triggering the system and forcing the ABS to back-off the braking pressure and so resulting in a longer overall stopping distance. A similar effect could happen if the pressure limiting thing in the line to the back brakes is not operating and is allowing the back brakes to lock.

I have also heard it said that in a low-speed down-hill loose-surface application of the brakes you are better off with the ABS switched off for similar reasons.

Hope this helps.

Roger.

p.s. I have just completed some brake work on my ABS equipped daily drive (not 4x4) and when I test drove it I was thinking "this is sheet! The ABS is kicking in much to soon." So I took it to my local garage who put it on the MoT brake tester and declared it 100%. I can only assume that I was over-thinking it so that it seemed worse than it was, and that in reality I was just expecting too much on damp roads perhaps?

My wife's disco has recently started doing this same thing, frightened the life out of me the other day when coming up to a roundabout :angry: - it rather helpfully cut in leaving me with no brakes!

It's also cutting in at very low crawl speeds on tarmac. I have noticed that it does now pull to one side slightly under braking so i think this might be something to do with it. only one thing for it really - pull it apart and have a look i guess!

Steve

For what it is worth it happened to mine on a number of occasions. The cause was the sensor not having the correct air gap between it and the exciter rings. This was due to the CV joint going the first time and the second was because the wheel bearing lock nut was not tight enough following the replacement of the cv joint. It still happens very occasionally but i know it is a sensor fault and i am only waiting for the weather to get better before i go crawling under the vehicle.

I would suggest checking out the Bearings and CV joint as well as the seating of the sensors. If that doesn’t sort it then the breaks and following that maybe the ECU. I had to replace one despite the common belief that they don’t go.

By the way a good starting point would be the local land rover garage with the correct diagnostic tools

Good luck

Hugh