RRC Front prop after LT230 conversion

Bowie69

I'll shortly be putting an LT230 into my 1991 V8 RRC, currently fitted with a Borg Warner t-box, and have everything sourced except for the front propshaft, mainly because I am struggling to nail down which one I need(!)

I *think* that the one I want is an FRC8386, which is a Disco 1 front prop, but also fits to the RRC, in some applications, unfortunately this is where the issue comes in...

Microcat lists FRC8386 lists as the front prop from 86-91, which I thought were the years that the BW was fitted....? So I'm guessing this isn't the right one?

Or is that the Disco has the engine/t-box in a different place relative to the axle?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

I would measure the distances if I had the right box in the truck   :unsure: I'm *hoping* to get everything ready, then spend a day getting the old one out, new one in and it 99% sorted, hence the question :)

You are right about the wide angle/HD prop, another reason for the question above is for me to be able to say to PC/GL 'Can I have an 'EXTREME' (:P) version of FRC8386 please?' if that's the right part no. :)

Microcat lists FRC8386 lists as the front prop from 86-91, which I thought were the years that the BW was fitted....? So I'm guessing this isn't the right one?

BW not fitted until around 1989 on. This quote from Ashcroft site ''We supply the LT 230 geardrive transfer boxes as well as the Borg Warner chain drive transfer boxes as fitted to the RR Classic from 1989 onwards and the P38A or "New Shape RR".''

A-ha, things are becoming clearer now, many thanks :)

Just spoken to Gwyn, got a GL637 on it's way, which, at 637mm, is ~30mm shorter than the existing one with a BW box in it :)

So, it seems that I now have one of the most common prop length on the front of it, 'Defender from MA - 300Tdi/Discovery 1/Range Rover Classic 1986-1991', which by cross-referencing a few websites *IS* an FRC8386.

Maybe it will help someone in the future that doesn't have a donor to just nick the prop from :)