Winch Cable Diameter

I guess if it's a new winch and the 8mm cable came with it as standard supply then I would assume it's rated for the winch.

Straight pull or snatch block shouldn't make any difference, with a snatch block you've got double the pull but essentially with double the cable thickness.

I would be running 35mm^2 cable as a minimum.......

Should get about 20ft on the drum!! ;) ;) ;)

What cable are we talking here?? Steel, or Synthetic. If Synthetic, what brand and type.

If synthetic and depending on make 8mm is theoretically ok, but the larger the better with all winches as there is a reduced chance of breakage on larger diameter ropes.

haha! winch line then :P

It's galv steel wire, still ok?

No, that is worse. It is weaker than any synthetics. 8 mm galvanized line has a breaking strength less than 10000 lbs. The other problem with steel cable is that you cannot put a large line on a small drum as the bend will be too tight.

What winch is this specifically?

After breaking lines "rated" for the winch I'm putting on shorter stronger lines instead and using extensions when needed. Also makes it easier to wash things too. Bringing along a 50' extension or more with 75-90' on the drum is usually more than enough.