Fuel line capacity / engine runtime ???

Hypotheticaly speaking - if a 300tdi's fuel line was pulled clean out of the fuel tank (or cut through really close to the tank) - how far would the vehicle get if it was started and driven? (assuming normal urban type driving?)

Anyone care to guess? :rolleyes:

Seeing as your fuel filter contains about a pint(?), I should think a couple miles before the whole shebang runs dry?

Not even that far I suspect. The injection pump will suck the filter dry and blow it out of the spillway pretty quickly.

Seeing as your fuel filter contains about a pint(?), I should think a couple miles before the whole shebang runs dry?

The engine circulates a lot more fuel than it uses. When my lift pump died a few years ago I got home by strapping a 2L container to the wing and filling it up with a gerry can. I seem to recall it getting through 2L of fuel every 3-4 Miles.

If I've remembered correctly, the fuel filter alone would last less than a mile.

Brilliant - cheers all :)

One mile sounds absolutely ideal!

As another idea, would the engine continue to run if the fuel return line was "blocked"???

Also, does anyone happen to know the internal diameter of a standard 300tdi fuel supply/return line?

My old motorbike used to get about 2 miles before it started to cough and splutter...then I realised I'd left the fuel tank valve shut and had to quickly fumble for it whilst coasting to a stop. You'd think I'd have remembered after a few days.weeks.months :lol:

Sorry, not much help to you.

If you're opening or closing a valve, the amount of fuel in the line or filter doesn't really matter. Once the valve is closed, fuel will stop flowing. Potentially, if you close a valve before the lift pump and filter, you might risk the lift pump trying to draw air in at any joints between your added valve and the lift pump.