Loose front wheel

jameslwt

Whilst on a work trip to Birmingham last night, a vibration suddenly developed at the front. I jacked her up this morning before heading to to the NEC and the front drivers side wheel rocks slightly if I hold it in the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position. Sideways on (3 and 9) it's hard to tell. We're talking about 2 mm movement here. Passenger side wheel is fine, as are UJ'S etc etc so am confident it's the wheel causing it.

Now I am AA ing it back to Somerset tomorrow as I figure that's safest and I have limited tools with me. I was thinking along the lines of the wheel bearing, and if so no problems there, but got me thinking could it be something else and if so how do I easilly check? (moved house the other day so tools in boxes etc etc!

I have nursed her about 40 miles since as being away I am kind of limited with options, and it does not seem to have got any worse. Jacked her up again this evening and no change.

Why does it always happen at the worst time!

Cheers

James

vibration suddenly developed

Sure you haven't just lost a balance weight? Or did some debris damage the tyre (I've had this), may not be visible immediately but was not pleasant and took ages to track down.

Not saying bearings/railko aren't worn but try swapping some wheels round first.

Hi James, my vote is for swivel bearings too. If it was a wheel bearing then you would feel the same amount of play from 6 to 12 as 3 to 9.

It's unlikely to be the cause of your vibration though, I would think that it is balance weights as mentioned above, or maybe prop UJs, or CVs, or even a tyre structural failure (causing a bulge).

Jacked her up. applied brakes, and solid as a rock. Had a wheel bearing 'kit' sat around anyway so changed it over yesterday and vibration gone. :D

Then thought I would check others and 1 x back one is showing a (very very small) amount of play, so whilst I am in 'the zone' I'll do that one as well. :ph34r:

Thanks for all the replies. I think the AA hate me now, but hey, it saved me the fuel costs!!