TD5 Fuel Tank Breather

Afternoon all,

A question for those of you that take your TD5 90s off road :)

The TD5 90 fuel tank that I have has a second breather on the LH side of the tank, have you extended this breather ? If so what bore pipe did you use ?

Lastly to satiate my curiousity, what particular purpose does it serve ?

Cheers

Mo

Afternoon all,

A question for those of you that take your TD5 90s off road :)

The TD5 90 fuel tank that I have has a second breather on the LH side of the tank, have you extended this breather ? If so what bore pipe did you use ?

Lastly to satiate my curiousity, what particular purpose does it serve ?

Cheers

Mo

Hi Mo

I assume as it's a plastic tank, that's it's to prevent gas expansion in hot weather.

It's a one way valve, and I haven't had any issues with mine.

Just to clarify, the valve in the top of a TD5 plastic tank is NOT a one way valve, it is a roll over valve. It's fixed into the top of the tank at the left hand side.

During normal operation it allows vapour to escape from the tank when the tank is over pressure (temperature expansion, release of butane from the fuel etc...). It also allows air into the tank to replace the fuel being used by the engine and compensate for dropping fuel temperature.

If the vehicle is inverted then the valve will close to prevent fuel escaping.

The nett result of all this is that if you do run the breather pipe under water then water can get into the fuel. It's easy enough to extend the breather pipe (it's clipped to the inside of the rear LH wheel arch). I just replace the original pipe with some 8mm ID fuel pipe and fit a pressure control valve inline with it. Unlike the ROV a pressure control valve only opens when the tank is above or below a set vacuum/pressure. Having said that the breather is already pretty high up on the vehicle.

• 11 months later...

Now that I'm ready to deal with this (11 months later than planned :) ), I'd just like to confirm that the valve is in the fitting on the tank and it's breather pipe is just clipped to the inside of the LH rear wheel arch looped 180 degrees with no further fittings.

TIA

Mo

Now that I'm ready to deal with this (11 months later than planned :) ), I'd just like to confirm that the valve is in the fitting on the tank and it's breather pipe is just clipped to the inside of the LH rear wheel arch looped 180 degrees with no further fittings.

TIA

Mo

Hi sorry, same question really. I attach a picture of my td5 fuel tank. can you confirm that the breather on the lhs can be left alone or should I put a breather pipe on this and run it to the front?

Cheers

James

post-16322-0-34592200-1297173993_thumb.jpg

It needs a pipe on it to raise it up. As I said before it's only a roll over valve so if the water level gets above the top of the tank or pipe you'll get water in your fuel.

It doesn't need extending to the front of the vehicle but it does need raising up one way or another. The standard LR installation has it going up into the wheel arch. If you expect to be going into water deeper than that, extend it.