Accessory opinion

Hi,

I decided to get a roof mount cargo net for my defender but my local garage want about £55 + Vat for it....i suppose its a proper Land Rover item but it seems pricey.

Mudstuff do one with all fixings for £27.50.....Half the price.

So the question has to be, is the expensive one a better option for a reason or is it the same thing as the mudstuff one but twice the price?

I just wondered if anybody had ever bought either of the items, althoughn im not sure what make the £55 one is, im only assuming its a Land Rover product by the price.

Or are they no use anyway???

Many thanks

Neil

If you mean a bungee type net on the inside of teh vehicle then, well, they are maybe not THAT much use.

I have played with this in my Disco and things just bounce around in it. Even just a work jacket seems to bounce up and down which can be distracting.

If you have a van then you might not notice it, but still only good for lightweight bits - how many jackets does one carry :huh:

I think a solid shelf would be far more useful. I used a roofrack tray and ratchet straps inside as a trial and that worked well. Lower the strap to gain acess, tighten to lift into the roof space. Just needs some mesh to stop things falling through. Keep in mind the Discos roof is stepped though, so has more "wasted space" for this sort of idea.

I certainly wouldn't pay the dealer price. Halfords do a large cargo net for £8-ish.

I bought several metres of non-stretchy cargo net from Anchor Supplies (or one of the other similar outfits) at one of the shows last year. I cut a piece to fit the roof of the Ibex, secured with webbing around the rollcage bars and tensioned with three webbing straps. Slacken the straps and the back hangs down for access, pull them tight and everything is pulled up to the roofline. Total cost maybe £15 ?

Currently it holds snowboots, fleece, sleeping bag, basha and a spool of climbing rope that Miketomcat carelessly left behind :lol:

I used to have the cargo nets with elastic around them, but they always sag down even with little weight in there.

I have one in the roof of my 90 and as said they do make heavy items sag and bounce around which can be distracting, I mainly use mine to carry and air out my sleeping bag as it can be layed flat and is light so doesn't droop down.

I have the mud stuff version which does come with a large amount of clips but it does not cover the entire rear roof space of a 90 just to make you aware.

I use it because I have but if/when it breaks I wont be replaceing it!