200tdi won't rev up !

Hi, just wondered if anyone else has ever experienced this?

I took a 200tdi from a Discovery about 12 months ago and finally got round to fitting it in my Defender. Before fitting it gave it a new Clutch, timing belt and oil etc, mated it to a Defender LT77 gearbox I got at the time.

Installed the whole lump following the great advice on here and all seems to have gone really well. Until this morning when we rolled it out of the workshop! Filled the rad and started her up, on tickover its great sits there at the right amount of revs very happily. So we then tried to rev it to try and get the temp up a little to check the sender. The revs hardly pick up and the engine just appears to be starved of fuel :wacko: We have done the following ....

Checked extended fuel lines aren't pulling any air in and tried bypassing the filter.

Blown out the fuel pump with air.

Checked the solenoid is clear.

Set crank to TDC and poked a drill bit through the hole in the fuel pump pulley to make sure it still located in the hole in the casing.

Cracked the fuel lines at the injectors one by one, all fueled and cylinder drops off when opened as it should.

The engine worked fine in the Disco, but has been stood.... any ideas will be greatly appreciated. :mellow:

Cheers Nick

Hi, just wondered if anyone else has ever experienced this?

I took a 200tdi from a Discovery about 12 months ago and finally got round to fitting it in my Defender. Before fitting it gave it a new Clutch, timing belt and oil etc, mated it to a Defender LT77 gearbox I got at the time.

Installed the whole lump following the great advice on here and all seems to have gone really well. Until this morning when we rolled it out of the workshop! Filled the rad and started her up, on tickover its great sits there at the right amount of revs very happily. So we then tried to rev it to try and get the temp up a little to check the sender. The revs hardly pick up and the engine just appears to be starved of fuel :wacko: We have done the following ....

Checked extended fuel lines aren't pulling any air in and tried bypassing the filter.

Blown out the fuel pump with air.

Checked the solenoid is clear.

Set crank to TDC and poked a drill bit through the hole in the fuel pump pulley to make sure it still located in the hole in the casing.

Cracked the fuel lines at the injectors one by one, all fueled and cylinder drops off when opened as it should.

The engine worked fine in the Disco, but has been stood.... any ideas will be greatly appreciated. :mellow:

Cheers Nick

hi nick, this happened to me fortnihgt ago turned out to be pipe had come away from turbo to intercooler hope this helps, defender dinky

Thanks for the replies ... but ...

Kingrat - I took the Lift pump from the old TD engine, still the same :(

Defender Dinky - Went through all the pipes, checked they were sucking and blowing as they should :( and connected.

The only thing I did wonder about was the vacuum pipe from the Turbo to the fuel pump, its all intact etc but I know that chamber on the pump it goes to is to reduce fuelling isnt it? I was going to take it apart next to see if anything was stuck in there. (the engine has been sat for 12 mnths after all)

Well thats for Wednesday :(

Thanks again, fingers crossed and I will update Weds on how it goes :blink:

The "vacuum pipe" is a pressure pipe letting the FIP know when boost is up so fuel will be added accordingly. But the turbo boost will only be there when driving with power applied, not when standing and freerevving.

The I can't say what's wrong...

^^ it wouldnt matter.

You could remove the pipe completely and unbolt all the turbo hoses, and the engine should still rev up just fine.

Sounds like its either fuel supply or fuel pump related.

The other other possibility is that theres a massive air restriction somewhere, but that would result in massive clouds of black smoke when you tried to rev it.

I had a similar problem on my Transplanted 200Tdi, when accel pressed the engine just started to smoke and ultimatly just flattend out. I replaced the fuel filter and it cured it. the filter was full of pretty dirty fuel contaminated with water and dirt.

Have you put a new filter in it?

How clean is your tank? you could have a restriction on the fuel pickup, in which case it could idle ok, until it sucks harder? have you checked the fuel pipes all the way to the tank pickup?

Thanks again for the suggestions all....

We did check the fuel filter and even bypassed it, I will check the pipes right back to the tank though as you suggest. Not sure on the cleanliness of the tank though :unsure: I did wonder about trying to blow back toward the tank with the airline at low pressure just to check it.

I will check the Vac pipe also just for peace of mind me thinks as there was a little oil in the intercooler hose from the turbo. So even if its not going to cause this problem as Aragorn says, it may cause me other issues later if it is oiled up.

Well watch this space ;) for the next installment.

Thanks again all it really is appreciated!!

Thanks Aragorn, we did try that as we did wonder with all the liftin of the front end whilst fitting the engine and box if we had disturbed some sedement. Didn't make any difference though:(

FINALLY though we did sort it!! :D It must have been some muck in the injector pump. It only shifted though when we started messing with the mixture screw! We had undone every other possible thing first though :rolleyes: we moved the mixture screw and manually pumped the lift pump and knocked the injector pump with a hammer to shift it.,..... such is life.

But a massive thank you to all who took an interest and made suggestions. Typical Landy problem though... needed a hammer in the end ;)

All the best Nick