Rear Main Oil Seal

Hiya.

You may have seen a couple of my other threads relating to refitting my 200TDI engine following my gearbox rebuild.

Well . . . . I'm a bit wazzed off.

I started this job in the first instance as the rear meain oil seal was leaking badly (car reletively new to me). So it all came apart, and I found the seal had been fitted the wrong way around with the lip facing outwards (towards the flywheel). Anyhow, fitted a new one (genuine) and used the applicator to fit it. Fitted it unlubricated as per instructions.

Some months later I'm getting round to refitting the engine, and suspend it like this nearly 3 weeks ago:

DSC_8979.jpg?t=1267571558

Put the engine in on Monday, thus levelling the motor once again (after being suspended at that angle for a few weeks). An what happenend? You guessed it - some oil dripped out of the wading plug hole in the flywheel housing. BUGGER. Over 48 hours or so, I'd guess at about a thimble full of oil has leaked out. Yes it's engine oil BTW and not ATF out of the gearbox.

So - glass half full theory - I'm hoping that when the engine is running and there is a bit of crankcase pressure that this helps 'press' the seal onto the crank, coupled with the seal bedding in a bit, and it won't leak.

Glass half empty theory - the seal was meant to be dry to facilitate bedding in. It's now contaminated with lots of oil and won't bed in and will leak.

Numpty mechanic theory - I damaged the seal when fitting and it'll never seal!

Now I know if I was being asked for advice, I'd probably say to take the motor back out now and just replace the seal. But I've decided against that. So I'm going to build it back up, and run the motor in the garage for an hour or so and see what happens. Worst case senario is the motor has to come back out, and I need to re-replace the seal.

Thought I'd post on here just in case anyone had experienced similar and had anything to say.

Look forward to your replies.

Shaun (aka the numpty seal fitter!) :huh: :huh:

I never fit the seal dry - less chance of damaging it when fitting, etc. I don't think the small amount of crankcase pressure will make that much difference, but you never know. Personally - I would replace it (again :) ), just to be on the safe side.

Les.

Just the topic I was loking for :)

I have simlar problem after I rebuild my disco 200tdi and put it in to defender.

But I`m shure that oil is not leaking at rear main oil seal but here:

slika025.jpg

It is leaking behind the flywheel mount on the main shaft

How is this possible? Could it be the gasket between engine and housing of the flywheel be the problem?

Should I put some silicone on it?

Thanks

Did you inspect the jounal surface on the crank shaft that the seal lip beds on? If it's been scoured no seal will seal.

AWEM

It would be nice to say that I hadn't done that! Unfortunately, I inspected that and cleaned it using very fine scotchbrite.

What does AWEM mean?

Shaun.

I have simlar problem after I rebuild my disco 200tdi and put it in to defender.

But I`m shure that oil is not leaking at rear main oil seal but here:

It is leaking behind the flywheel mount on the main shaft

How is this possible? Could it be the gasket between engine and housing of the flywheel be the problem?

Should I put some silicone on it?

behind the flywheel mount on the mainshaft.

I think you mean from around the rear main journal on the crank?

If it was, then the leak wouldn't manifest itself from the wading plug hole, but between the flywheel housing and the rear of the block. On mine there is a gasket between these two parts - I would agree that mine was also leaking from there before I put it all back together. And yes, I chose to run a bead of silicone for a belt and braces approach.

Here's another couple of photo's:

3955461554_cb1f1d806b_b.jpg

3952096070_8572e0a51e_b.jpg

behind the flywheel mount on the mainshaft.

I think you mean from around the rear main journal on the crank?

If it was, then the leak wouldn't manifest itself from the wading plug hole, but between the flywheel housing and the rear of the block. On mine there is a gasket between these two parts - I would agree that mine was also leaking from there before I put it all back together. And yes, I chose to run a bead of silicone for a belt and braces approach.

Here's another couple of photo's:

3955461554_cb1f1d806b_b.jpg

3952096070_8572e0a51e_b.jpg

That's where mine drips from also however not that much, will this cuase any problems it's been like it for 12 months gets regular oil changes and seems to be ok.

Yeah - it'll stain your drive!

But seriously, a drip's nowt to worry about if you're on top of it.

I must say that if I had access to a large surface grinder, I'd be tempted to true up both the back face and the block to ladder face, as neither of these were level with the rear cap. There's no way it was ever going to be oil tight in these areas without sealant. Very poor manufacturing IMHO.

there is a gasket to fit between back of block & flywheel housing & refer to workshop manual page for more info,

gasket is this one [both sides shown] from a 200tdi block gasket kit

the ladder frame & sump pan are fitted with a bead of RTV sealant.

th_IMG_0413.jpg

th_IMG_0412.jpg

post-20-126765849611_thumb.jpg

Mine is a factory reconditioned engine. There was no sealant between the ladder and the block - it has now though! No wonder it leaked from the back of the ladder - there is a gap between it and the rear cap.

In your experience, are they all like this? Or have I just got a bad one?

Shaun

It doesn`t leak through the wading plug hole but between the block and the housing.

So I don`t actually have a problem :huh:

Of course I put the gasket between the block and housing but I didn`t put any sealent in between.

Hope this will solve the problem.

there is a gasket to fit between back of block & flywheel housing & refer to workshop manual page for more info,

gasket is this one [both sides shown] from a 200tdi block gasket kit

Didnt know that! I took the flywheel housing off of my TD the other day and there was just sealant there. Thought the tdi would be the same.