have i effed up my effing engine

hi guys

need another bit of advice

all was going well down in the workshop today, untill i decided now would be as good a time as any to torque up the crankshaft bolt some 330 nm i think (and loctite)

well i didnt get that much torque on it as i forgot all that was preventing rotation was the fuel pump timing pin,

the result is that i think the timing has slipped a bit,

then i noticed diesel (or what looks and smells like diesel) leaking from the front out of the breather hole in the timing chest, and now i cant get the nut undone

questions are firstly, where is the diesel coming from and have i fuc@@d up my engine or fuel pump timing thingy

secondly how can i undo the nut without spending 80 quid at difflock for the restraining tool. i dont want to spin the engine on the starter motor due to any possibility the timing may be out (although i have removed the rocker shaft to hopefullly prevent any further damage i belive the valve springs force all the valves closed and away from danger could someone please confirm this?

cheers for looking and i hope you guys may have some better news for me im usually really cheerful after a day on the

truck but today im not

cheers, will

ralph

cheers for the invite but i did not make it up that way in the end and ive only just logged on. ill give bob a ring on monday and see if he can get some in for me next time im up there

cheers for that ralph,

not sure if ill be down my workshop tomorrow will have to ask the wife, its all the way down near st keverne though i wouldnt want you to go out of your way and its a fair old trak from your place.

ill let you know waht im doing though

I wonder if its caused some damage inside the pump where the pin has been forced - hopefully not.

Anyway, have a look at my posts in this thread - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=38651&hl

I knocked up a tool out of an iron bar to lock the crank - it bolts to the damper after the pulley is removed. Took about half an hour and cost nothing as it was a bit of scrap i had lying around. Hope thats some help.

cheers guys

i think i may have damaged the alloy casing as the pin was a bit bent when i got it out. note to self be careful with a bloody big torque wrench

i think i may have a while to calm down and come up with a plan and some bar to make the tool & open it all up again and assess the damage

cheeers for your help

will

With the rocker shaft off, the engine can safeley be turned without risk of damage to the valves - they will remain closed. You'll have to replace the timing belt now - it will have been stressed beyond it's design limits. Assuming that the injector pump shaft seal is fine - you'll have cracked or broken the casing, so the pump is now u/s. Rather an expensive mistake - timing gear should never be used to lock the crank.

Les.

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys

cheers for you advice, i know its been a while but bettter late than never

well the upshot of my misdemeaner was that i trashed the timing pump by ripping the alloy casing round the timing pin this in turn tore a chunk of alloy out and exposed the front bearing.

i have now learnt my leasson and have manufactured a tool as described in another post ( i dont know why i didnt before). on the good side of things i have managed to source a new pump for £50 bucks (serviceability unknown but ill take a gamble at that price, the seller said it was serviceable).

does anybody have any top tips when replacing one of these or is it just a case of fit it then set timing as per the post in the forum and take care when torqing crank bolt (i have a tool for that now)

any advice would be greatly recievd

cheers

will