More Light needed

Ziggymachine

Hia Folks

Ive just got myself a nice 300 tdi Disco that once had some nice spot/driving lights, these are all rotted out and scrap, so i need to get new ones, have you got the perfect ones on yours?? what type are they?? is it worth upgrading the headlights to.

Many thanks

Hia Folks

Ive just got myself a nice 300 tdi Disco that once had some nice spot/driving lights, these are all rotted out and scrap, so i need to get new ones, have you got the perfect ones on yours?? what type are they?? is it worth upgrading the headlights to.

Many thanks

We have to draw your attention to SimonR's X-lites (other-auxilliary-lights-are-available-and-I-don't-have-any-of-them-but-I've-heard-good-things-honest-guv), but upgrading the headlights to Crystal reflectors (I have no affiliation to Paddocks either) E-marked ones of course, and +50% or even +80% brightness bulbs makes a world of difference.

The 'standard' 55w H4 bulbs in the main headlights are pants. I have a pair of replacement bulbs from halfrauds iirc (paddocks do similar), about 14 quid for two. Xenon gas and all of that stuff (not coloured bulbs, just plain white light) for the 'super brilliance' bulbs claim up to 50% brighter. They are certainly loads better than the standard ones, the difference was clearly visible (haha). So long as the wattage is the same as the standard bulbs it's a simple swap. Been in a couple of years now.

There's also an 'extreme brilliance' ~ £20

i've just upgraded to new early td5 headlights in my 300, along with some osram nightbreaker bulbs - absolutely fantastic. as for the spotlamps, i've got gen landrover ones with ring powermax bulbs in them, and they really do light up the night.

it really depends on how much you want to spend, i bought a pair of 9" ones off ebay a year or two ago for about £30 delivered, and they weren't that bad tbh.

Thanks for your input

Looks like i need to do some shopping, Im intending keeping the Disco for a few years so im happy to upgrade, i take it the if i also go for high watts i may have to change wiring and fuses,

I think i will go for the max i can with headlamps then get a very good pair of extra driving lights,

Many thanks

Ziggy

Hi Ziggy,

HID's (high-intensity discharge) are a very bright bulbs. They use less power (35w typically) than a standard lamp. Ive had them fitted in my Disco now for over 4 years.

Ive just upgraded my fittings from 35W to 55W units. I have converted all the spots as well (2 x IPF lights on the bumper and 4 x KC Daylighters on the roll bar)

I used this company recently http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/index.php and they do a very small ballast that fits inside the shell off the spotlights so wiring is easier.

The Disco has passed its MOT's with them fitted and a little while ago I was treated to a roadside MOT by the lovely VOSA chaps and had no problems with them.

Andy

I am just in the process of upgrading my lights on my 300tdi to the facelift TD5 versions.....but with a few more mods...

I have taken the lights completely apart, and fitted LED clusters for the side lights and indicators....also fitted a 40cm LED strip for a Day light Running light, and then I am just waiting for the projector Bi-xenon adaptors to be delivered to be fitted in the dipped reflectors, as unfortunately you never get the right beam pattern fitting HID's in reflector housing, even if you use the smaller HID bulbs with the black surround on them, like the H7R bulbs, although they do help a lot.....

Yes, I like lights - lol......I do a lot of conversions for other cars too, like the BMW e60 to the new facelifted lights, and have done xenon conversions on all my other cars - can't beat xenon.....

Hopefully will get them fitted in a couple of weeks.....as can't stand the candles I have now.......

sturox could you post some pics on here of the conversion.ive got a 98 300 with standard lights and bulbs(presume so anyway),and landrover spotlights,and they light up the road really well,on dipped and are very bright on main beam with the spots on.how much brighter are the new landrover lights going to be?

thanks sean

Hi Sean,

Yes, will post pics once its all completed.

As for brightness, I am used to driving with Xenon, so really hard going back to halogen, and especially the cadle power output from the 300tdi lights......(bought the 300 for off roading, but since its there on the drive, might was play with it!)

The new ones will be a lot better, esp with the projector lenses with HID.

Just waiting for them to land from foreign parts, and then its project lights with the angle grinder....

Hia Folks

Many thanks

ive got Hella Luminator Chromium are pricey but well worth it, light is exceptional :D