Oil in my ECU!!!

So just been messing around with the landy, looking to fit a cruise control system, on removing the ECU plug it is covered in oil!!!!!! I know how it gets in there etc, but what should I do? Do I need a new loom? should I just leave it ? If I do what is the worst that will happen? I have not noticed any problems at the moment that is!!! is it better to sort it out now though?

Cheers, Jason.

PANIC!

Not really - from what I've read the oil in the loom problem will only cause a bit of juddering if caught early, caused by metal particles suspended in the oil turning the oil slightly electrically conductive. In more pronounced cases it can invade the ECU, causing the capacitors to burn out and needing a new ECU to rectify.

A new injector loom (£30ish) is easily fitted inside half an hour and should stop further oil ingress. I did one recently and only needed a low capacity torque wrench (16nm IIRC) which I had to buy - available to borrow if you need?

To flush the rest of the loom from the front of the engine to the ECU I used some generic electronic solvent stuff - spray it repeatedly into the loom plug at the front of the head and leave the ECU multiplug disconnected until the oil stops coming out.

I have heard of a mod where one of the multiplugs is attacked with a drill bit to allow the oil in the loom to leak out, but I never worked out which multiplug that was.....

Cheers Guys,

So change the engine loom then... I notice that ebay have them at around £30 does anyone know if they are any good? if not where can I get a good one from? My landy is a Britpart free zone!!!!!

might need to take you up on the wrench simon, not sure mine is that sensitive!!!!! are you going to Newbury on Sunday?

Cheers, Jason

Changed the injector loom today with an Allmakes one for £28, it was even eaiser than the Les's post as I think that was for a disco..

• Took the bonnet off.
  • Removed the loom plug.
  • Removed the engine cover, (three 13mm bolts).
  • Removed the spring clip for the breather tube.
  • Removed the rocker cover (14, 8mm bolts)
  • Uncliped the loom and cleaned the plug
  • new loom in
  • fastened everything up
  • mopped up the oil coming out of the plug
  • bonnet back on

Job done in around 40 mins including the test drive.

I think I will add it to the preventative things to do/check in the future, may be add to the service schedule.

they usually start leaking about 80k km.

so if caught early, you don't even have to change the loom. you jus reseal them on the injectors and they are ok.

if you never want this to happen again, you can splice the loom to insert a connector to allow for the oil to come out there rather than let it choose to make it's way to the ecu.

I have heard of a mod where one of the multiplugs is attacked with a drill bit to allow the oil in the loom to leak out, but I never worked out which multiplug that was.....

Where the small injector loom comes out through the head there is a round multi plug where the main engine loom joins. This plug has a rubber seal round the outside which seals it. If oil gets into the loom under pressure this seal will contain the oil under pressure and allow it to continue through the engine loom towards the ECU. If the rubber seal is destroyed then oil coming from the injectors under pressure will leak out of the loom at the plug and never make it to the ECU. Does that help Si?

The injector loom is not very expensive from Landrover.

Chris

Oil got into my ECU, prised the lid off and emptied it out. Mine was really bad, replaced the whole engine loom too. Reckon it had started at an early stage but the previous owner didn't bother with warranty issues or dealer servicing, I knew this and it was reflected in the price I paid. Still had to fix more than expected though! :angry: