Imperial sized oil seal supplier

Betsy

I have a Mayflower PTO winch on the 2a, its fantastic, but I am now having a problem with a serious oil leak on the PTO output shaft. I have tried rebuilding it using some metric equivalent seals, obtained from an on line supplier, but they were not exactly the same, and lasted about 6 months. Now they have failed badly and its loosing a lot of oil from the PTO.

I need to locate some correct size imperial seals, does anyone know where I might get some?

Don't overlook the fact that the seating area the seal rubs against may be damaged by grit, or simply wear.

If so, either try locating the replacement seal to a slightly different place (perhaps by not putting it fully into the housing), or by using the resurfacing shims - the correct name and supplying company escapes me at the moment, but others will know (and help!!).

Thanks for the replies. I have not got the exact dimensions to hand, but I seem to recall that they were a very odd size and it was Simplybearings who got the metric versions for me. The shaft is in good condition.

The original seals were unusual in that the sealing lip was a V shape without a lip and spring. The one supplied were traditional lip and spring items. In case anyone has done this before, its the smaller shaft, that has the output to the winch on one side, and the shear pin housing on the other. The shaft goes straight through the PTO and has the same seal on each side.

Just for information, I measured with electronic calipers, and the output shaft of the Mayflower PTO unit has a diameter of 1.25 inch, and a housing of 1.62 inch. The seal is .25 thick.

I ordered the exact size seals from simplybearings. I have ordered the R23 version, with double lip. Hopefully they should be fine.

Hi betsy

try these guys H.T.S. all the h g v, aggricultural, plant, fork lift, commercial, and industrial guys go here they are based in salford also there used to be another seal firm in cheethamhill called manchester seals and the owner ( sally ) sold up and bought into h.t.s. and she still meassures and supplies metric and imperial seals as per sample or to order.

cannon street

salford

M3 6JH.

0161 834 7666.