Battery MOT question

series3100

I don't remember the MOT tester ever checking my battery for security or what I used to secure it with, provided it's secure & cannot move about there shouldn't be a problem, a suitable covered metal strap would be better than a webbing strap which could be damaged by split battery acid.

The battery has to be secure - there's no MOT specification for how that's achieved, ...

Makes you wonder how they check them at some places then, as my battery box cover is locked and I have never supplied the key!

I have to disagree, there isn't anywhere in the MOT manual that says the battery has to be securely fastened in place. Check the handbook online at www.motuk.co.uk.

An MOT tester cannot fail a car for having an insecure battery.

They can however give an advisory at their own discretion, my series has never had anything holding the battery in place, it sometimes gets an advisory and sometimes doesn't, the discovery I had also didn't have anything but that never received an advisory (probably too busy with all the other faults!) The Range Rover p38 I have also has a 'loose' battery but I'm yet to MOT that

Agreed it's not in the inspection manual now, I do remember having a fail due to insecure battery in the past (maybe 15 years ago), so maybe it has been removed.

Even if it was in the manual, a ratchet strap should be fine.