erratic idle

bigdru

hi, my 95 disco v8 started leaking petrol last night.

turned out to be the fuel return pipe had been joined and had split at the join under the boot floor.

fixed it this afternoon ,now when i start it the revs go from 1000rpm to 0 and any where in between.

as it didnt do this before any one got any ideas

cheers

bigdru

The fuel system works by pumping too much fuel and at low engine speed/demand, most of this is returned to the tank, so IMHO air in the system would fairly quickly get pumped right back to the tank - unless there is another problem too.

Really we probably could do with a little more information - do you mean that it stalls? If so how long does it run for? Are the plugs very wet? If it doesn't stall then do you mean it has an erratic tickover? Will it run under throttle? Will it rev up? etc etc...

I know that, having disturbed the fuel system it's tempting to think that's the cause of subsequent problems, but don't let that blind you to other possibilities too: Are the sparks ok? Are there any sensor wires off/loose/corroded? etc etc.

the car ran fine until i fixed the leak in the return pipe.

when starting it stalls first time, then on second attempt it will idle very erratic going from 0rpm to 1000rpm .

the car still drives and pulls fine after a while it settles down, until you stop it and start it again.

only thing that was touched was the return pipe at the tank.

Hi all sorry to hi-jack the thread my 1996 3.9v8i has very similar symptoms,start it up and it's fine on cold start as soon as it drops to idle speed the revs become very irregular i.e it goes from 750 to 1100 to almost stalling but picks its self back up,how ever 9 times out of 10 if you turn it off take keys out of ignition and leave it for a minute then re-start it it is fine,i gave it a complete service about a month ago(oils,leads,dizzy cap,filters didnt do the fuel filter as mentioned in another post) and it sorted out but now the problem has returned any advice greatly appreciated,cheers danny.