wiper spindle wheel box

The TD5 ones, at least on the ones I have, no longer use a splined shaft to hold the wiper arms, they are now held on with a nut. The end of the wheelbox shaft has a taper and a threaded portion, the wiper arms have a hole in them, they're not compatible with the older splined style with or without adaptors.

While you've got it all apart, replace the rack cable too, they cost next to nothing even genuine from a stealer and they seem to be more prone to wear than the wheelboxes. Wish I'd done that when I did mine as the damn thing failed a week after it was on the road again !

Yes, but they are different sizes in the wheel boxes on TD5 & TDi. They need to be a matched set with that in the motor end otherwise the ratio is incorrect giving less of a sweep!

tn_gallery_9452_908_49733.jpg

TD5 is on the right ^

edited to add "with that in the motor end" and picture added to clarify.

Have a look here: link Hope this helps clarify things a little!

The gear in the TDi motor assy can be swapped, but, by my calc's, it still won't give enough sweep with TD5 wheel boxes.

One other point, if its a problem with worn wheels you can turn them through 180 degrees (to work on the unworn area of the wheel) and bend the finger that holds the spindles axially a little if the arms appear to have gone sloppy.