300 TDI performance air filter - yes or no ???

Red90 I think the mileage my Defender has done speaks for it'self...... I don't hasve a problem. The others who work in theory seem to though. :lol:

Not really. A modern engine using the proper filters and fluids should last basically indefinitely. An oil analysis will show two things. 1) If you wear rates are lower, the same or higher than a similar engine running paper filter and 2) whether you are getting contamination of the oil from airborne particulates. The test costs very little and tells you a lot about how well the oil and filters are working for your engine.

A customer of ours manufactures air filters for all types of engines on all types of machinery, from JCB's and generators to performance cars. Their general rule of thumb is that a manufacturers' spec filter is usually correct. Free-flow filters have bigger 'holes' in them to allow better breathing. This allows more rubbish through which will result in greater engine wear etc. Their advice to me for my 300 90 was 'use a standard filter but change it every three months or so, more often than that if used in very dirty / wet conditions'.

You can get standard filters cheaply enough on-line, so my advice would be to buy half a dozen at once to save on delivery costs. Store them somewhere dry, but if you think they might get wet or dirty in storage, seal 'em up in a plastic bag.

alot of overland websites recommend that when driving in particularly dusty conditions - like africa or Oz outback - that you bash out your filter daily and replace it weekly if required.

How do you do that with a K&N oiled filter?

wont the debris stick to the oil preventing it from temporarily being bashed out to get the worst clogging off - and how would you clean it and dry it properly in the boonies once a week?