X eng fan thermostat

Got myself one of these, and a mondeo fan.

installed it all, and have a switch that i have as follows: on, off, themostat controlled.

now, the on and off bits are fine :lol: but i havent a clue how to wire the thermostat in so that it works properly?

Got myself one of these, and a mondeo fan.

installed it all, and have a switch that i have as follows: on, off, themostat controlled.

now, the on and off bits are fine :lol: but i havent a clue how to wire the thermostat in so that it works properly?

Just put the thermostat on end of the "thermostat controlled" wire and then run a wire from the other 'stat terminal to your relay.

Simples!

ahhh yes, but which of the three terminals do i use....

:blink:

Three? On the thermostat switch? So you bought the dual temperature jobbie?

Drum roll: If you only want to use the lower of the two temperature settings, it doesn't matter which two you use. ;)

Three? On the thermostat switch? So you bought the dual temperature jobbie?

Drum roll: If you only want to use the lower of the two temperature settings, it doesn't matter which two you use. ;)

Sleep is a wonderful thing. Permission to change my mind? Ta.

You can just randomly connect to any two tabs, but this may mean you end up connecting to opposite ends of both thermostat switches (e.g. it won't come on until both temperatures have been exceeded). I couldn't find a connector layout for these, so unless someone has worked it out already I'd suggest using a bowl of water from the kettle and a multimeter to work out which pin is which.

Sorry for the second thoughts.

Thanks Quagmire!

now, the on and off bits are fine but i havent a clue how to wire the thermostat in so that it works properly?

OK.

So the connectors on the back of the dual temperature X-fan switch (Intermotor) look like this:

post-8420-127305841261_thumb.jpg

So for a single speed single fan with always on / off / thermostatic arrangement looks like this:

post-8420-127305847538_thumb.jpg

And the same but with two temperatures and two fans is:

post-8420-127305852384_thumb.jpg

The reason there is no over-ride (always on) shown on the higher temp fan is that if the engine is hot enough to need the second fan the X-switch will connect it up for you.

If you want a dual speed circuit for a single fan I'll need to know exactly what current the fan motor draws ...

Slightly OT but still fan related.

On my old Series I had my fan connected as your single fan picture. It would always cut in fine but when cutting out the relay contacts would always "flutter". It was as if the thermo switch couldn't decide if it was on or off. I tried relays with a resistor and with a diode across the coil. All were the same.

Any idea why this is?

Slightly OT but still fan related.

On my old Series I had my fan connected as your single fan picture. It would always cut in fine but when cutting out the relay contacts would always "flutter". It was as if the thermo switch couldn't decide if it was on or off. I tried relays with a resistor and with a diode across the coil. All were the same.

Any idea why this is?

That sounds like the thermoswitch being slow to open and arcing. (they are typically a a pressure switch (Kenlowe) or a bimetallic strip (X-eng)). You could have tried a suppression capacitor across the thermo switch to damp the arc.

And could you advise me what size relay to use or does it not matter?

Go for a standard 30A one, they're common and cheap enough.

That sounds like the thermoswitch being slow to open and arcing. (they are typically a a pressure switch (Kenlowe) or a bimetallic strip (X-eng)). You could have tried a suppression capacitor across the thermo switch to damp the arc.

Cheers, I'll try that next time!