Disco 300tdi CANT SELECT GEARS WITH ENGINE RUNNING but GEARS CAN BE SE

letsgodisco

Hi All

Further to my earlier gearbox question...I can select any gear when the engine is not running but cant get gears when engine is fired up and ticking over.

My question is what is the likliest problem * CLUTCH or *GEARBOX???

If the gearbox is low/empty on oil and I top it up now could that solve my problem? or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Any info will be very much appreciated

Cheers

Sime.

I think you should first establish if there's oil in the box. Draining it will also allow you to examine the oil for bits of teeth, forks etc.

TBH, it sounds like the clutch. If you start it in gear can you stop by depressing the clutch?

Sounds like the clutch to me.

You should be able to select a gear without pressing the clutch when the engine is not running, and without the clutch you should not be able to (this is not a good idea though) select a gear if the engine is running.

Put the car in first gear and press the clutch and turn the key. If it goes to lurch forward then I would say your clutch is knackered.

I could be wrong though...

You try this.. put your car in a clear area infront of you. shift the gear into 2nd gear. Press the clutch and start the car.. let the car go.release the clutch, depress and release. Remeber to stop the car you need to switch the engine off..With a bit of luck you will release the clutch and sort the problem..

good luck from Brunei..

Rgds

Ham

I've recently had problems along the same lines, impossible to get into reverse without major grinding and very stiff in the forward gears, I bypassed the damper and the problems have gone. I haven't noticed any real difference without the damper apart from the clutch feeling much more positive. First thing I've done on the Disco that hasn't cost anything!

I would say it sounds like clutch fork bent or pushed through pivot or a faulty master or slave cylinder could be thrust bearing but that would usualy make a lot of noise and only make selecton dificult not imposable other option is plate stuck to flywheel if it's been stood a long time this can usualy be freed up by starting in gear and pressing cluch and brake together

andy

You try this.. put your car in a clear area infront of you. shift the gear into 2nd gear. Press the clutch and start the car.. let the car go.release the clutch, depress and release. Remeber to stop the car you need to switch the engine off..With a bit of luck you will release the clutch and sort the problem..

good luck from Brunei..

Rgds

Ham

Hi Ham

Well Done Ham! you did it.

Many Thanks for the great advice

By following the instructions from your answer I can now select my gears with engine running, they are still a bit stiff as I select through the gate but the clutch appears to be working just as you predicted...is it possible for you to identify what the problem is considering your advice appears to have put my problem right for now? is it safe to drive without causing damage? is it likely that damage has been done? could it be low oil in gearbox that has caused this? do I need a clutch or is it slave cylinder? most importantly what do I need to do now in order to prevent this happening again

{to answer one possible cause Ive had the clutch arm go before (bolt pushing through arm) and know how that feels so Im fairly sure I can rule that one out of this scenario.)

Muchas Gracias Amigo (I feel better now)

Best Regards from, Yorkshire, England.

Sime.

Hi Ham

Well Done Ham! you did it.

Many Thanks for the great advice

By following the instructions from your answer I can now select my gears with engine running, they are still a bit stiff as I select through the gate but the clutch appears to be working just as you predicted...is it possible for you to identify what the problem is considering your advice appears to have put my problem right for now? is it safe to drive without causing damage? is it likely that damage has been done? could it be low oil in gearbox that has caused this? do I need a clutch or is it slave cylinder? most importantly what do I need to do now in order to prevent this happening again

{to answer one possible cause Ive had the clutch arm go before (bolt pushing through arm) and know how that feels so Im fairly sure I can rule that one out of this scenario.)

Muchas Gracias Amigo (I feel better now)

Best Regards from, Yorkshire, England.

Sime.

Hi Sime, great to hear that ur Disco is now back on the road.. This problem would occasionally happened when you dont use your car for quite sometime. Depends how it goes, you may not need to change anything at this point. This same problem actualy happened to my 1964 Jaguar Mk II after resting for quite a while.. So keep the car going.

Cheers.

Ham

Hi Sime, great to hear that ur Disco is now back on the road.. This problem would occasionally happened when you dont use your car for quite sometime. Depends how it goes, you may not need to change anything at this point. This same problem actualy happened to my 1964 Jaguar Mk II after resting for quite a while.. So keep the car going.

Cheers.

Ham

Hi Ham

The car is in daily use and has been for the last 40,000 miles although I have had a leak on the gearbox which I foolishly ignored, I will take car to garage tmo and get it up on car lift, drain oil and check before filling.

Cheers Mate

Sime.

P.S. My old headmaster drove a MK II Jag