Adjustable panhard rods?

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

Browsing through Rakeway's great website, i see they do an adjustable panhard rod, which looks better than the orange ones available!

question is, does anyone run with one (not necessarily this make) and does it make a lot of difference with suspension lifts?

and how "high" does ones lift have to be before you need to start worrying about lenghtening the panhard rod?

my Td5 110 has factory HD front springs (with an 8274), bearmach HR rear springs and standard radius arms, it seems to handle the same as when it was all normal duty and no winch.

my 90 on the other hand, has OME HD rears on the front and VHD rears on the back, with a 2" spacer, cranked rear arms and $crapiron castor corrected radius arms.

these arms made the world of difference in handling, so would the adjustable rod really bring it back to full factory type handling???

cheers all. B)

Both me and my mate spent some time setting my 90's tracking, and what we both noticed and agreed on is that the front axle seems to sit a bit too far *left* on both his RR and my 90. They both have a 2" lift so we kind of both expected to see the axle sit a bit too far right because of the panhard rod.

The only reason I mention this is that unless we have both have bent chassis (which considering some of the abuse is possible :) ) I'm becoming unconvinced that juzzy panhard rods are needed, as you are getting closer to bringing the axle in line, the only thing I can see is that it might be stressing the bushes on the radius arms.

So can't actually help with would it help, but I'd be interested in if looking from the back you think your front and rear axles aren't actually in line.... even with a lift. You had pretty wide tyres on from memory which seems to exagerate the effect.

Steve

Last year I had a discussion about this.

So

I spoke to a clever maths person.

With a two inch lift the difference of the length of the Panhard rod isn't worth bothering about.

Maybe some other clever maths person that can remember sines.cosines and tangents can prove me wrong!!!!

Is the spelling correct ??

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

Just had a quick bash at the maths, and assuming the panhard rod is horizontal to start with...

a 2 inch (50mm) lift results in 2mm difference in axle location/rod length.

a 4 inch (100mm) lift results in 6mm difference in axle location/rod length.

a 6 inch (150mm) lift results in 14 mm difference in axle location/rod length

If the panhard rod is angled to start with on a 0 lift vehicle, these results will be more, but it's raining and i cant be arsed to guess a measurement on my slightly lifted 90. lets guess at an inch difference in height between ends to start with.

a 2 inch (50mm) lift results in 3mm difference in axle location/rod length.

a 4 inch (100mm) lift results in 10mm difference in axle location/rod length.

a 6 inch (150mm) lift results in 19 mm difference in axle location/rod length.

so not very much....

approx.

if anyone can measure the height difference on a zero lift vehicle, it's easy to recalculate.

Luke

Setup a Tj wrangler the other week with Adjustable front and rear track bars (Pan Hard) Put a 4" lift on it and corrected trailling arms. The original bars were about 15mm out when the lift was fitted.

The thing is, the panhards/track bar keep the axles aligned and helps stop bump steer (so im told) Setting them up, we were told to have the vehicle laden with normal wieght on a flat surface. Then adjust to get the axles aligned. The axle will miss align anyway on articulation, even if they are adjustable.

Tell ya what though, drove the truck without either track bars/panhards. Now thats the best way to appreciate what the need for them are.......... :blink:

Hope this helps in someway.........

• 2 weeks later...

When I fitted QT front radius arms to an already 2" lifted 90, the QT versions are wider than factory along their length.

NS radius arm fouled the chassis in the area of the outrigger, asked on LRO, someone said just to put wheels on and it would sort itself out...

I did and it did, as soon as have taken transfer box out to fix leaky seal, will be in a position to judge if justy-panhard-rod is required...