Brake up-grade

I am lucky enough to have a 1989 110 V8 Pick-up that I commute to work in.

My route involves narrow single track twisty lanes, and B roads, is rural, hilly, often damp, and can involve leaves, and agricultural activities.

Having driven this route for many years with a 300Tdi 110 CSW, a 110 CSW Td5 and my current110 CSW Puma XS, I'm finding that the V8 Pick-up is giving me more ‘Excitement’ than is good for me at my age, and would welcome any advice form there experts here on what would be sensible (other than slowing down!)

I have drum brakes on the back, but with the rear tub empty most of the time I'm wondering whether fitting an axle with discs will make a lit of difference?

I'm also demonstrating my ignorance by posting similar questions on this forum about wheel spacers and Tyres.

Thank you

I have a 1989 110 which I have upgraded the brakes on, fitted a fully refurbed rear disk axle, straight forward job, fitted vented front disks and new calipers to the front, the truck does not stop any better than before but on twisty roads there is no brake fade so confidence has been restored.

If there's no weight on the back then I doubt upgrading the back brakes is going to help anything. A few bags of sand in the back may help :P

Or an anchor ...

That vintage of vehicle has a valve which actively reduces the rear brake effort under hard deceleration, to prevent the back axle locking up :unsure:

Upgrading the front brakes would make more sense, but the view of the LR4x4 'hood is that drilled and slotted disks aren't necessarily a good idea on an off-road car, so you'll need bigger disks, bigger pads and more caliper effort.

I would put discs on the back, not for extra braking efficiency but for the ease of maintenance and the sharper pedal feel, and then upgrade the front to the vented discs that the later 110s use.

It's also worth flushing all the brake fluid through and replacing any old flexi hoses (and solid pipes if necessary).