half shaft stuck

hi im trying to remove my half shaft, because ive lost drive on front end,but its properly stuck .ive had mawlgrips on it and everything ,will the diff come off with the half shaft in. cheers

hi im trying to remove my half shaft, because ive lost drive on front end,but its properly stuck .ive had mawlgrips on it and everything ,will the diff come off with the half shaft in. cheers

No.

However, have you taken the stub axle / swivel assembly off? The CV joint won't come out through the little hole the shaft does.

As Errol says, you need to strip the front hub on the offending side down completely so you can remove the half shaft.

The tech archive will have a step by step by Uncle Les in it somewhere.....

THIS thread should help....

As Errol says, you need to strip the front hub on the offending side down completely so you can remove the half shaft.

The tech archive will have a step by step by Uncle Les in it somewhere.....

THIS thread should help....

hi ive striped all the hub down ,took the stub axle off but the half shaft is jammed, its loose but jus jammed

I had a sheered half shaft a while ago, as Milemarker suggests I had tried the "pushing it out from the otherside" method but the final inch of the spline had twisted and sheered still in the diff so it wouldn't budge.

I ended up welding a piece of M20 screwed rod onto the end of the shaft then putting a tube over it (I used a gash length of scaffold pole about 10" long) then slid a large ring spanner onto the rod to act as a stop at the end of the pipe then wound the nut on and used it to draw the shaft out, i was then able to open the diff case and retrieve the last piece that way as due to the twist in the spline it wouldn't come out any other way.

I know this sounds quite drastic but I had tried everything else and was sure that the shaft was knackered anyway.

Hope this helps as a last resort.