Ignition Key barrel suddenly stuck !

Hish

Hi All,

My Discovery TDI has let me down on Saturday night, luckily I was near home. Parked it then went with friends for a drink, come back and the key enters the ignition but wouldn't turn ! steering/Wl stayed locked but the key can get in & out easily. I got the spare key but still no luck.

Called the Breakdown people they took it to a garage but couldn't figure out what was the problem ! I thought the immobilizer has gone mad I even thought of disconecting the battery then reconnecting to see if tha helps.. but now it's going to Land Rover tomorrow which might cost an arm & leg.. and they don't even give you a courtesy car :-(.

Any ideas ? is this a known problem ?

cheers

Hish

The immobiliser doesn't affect the steering lock - only the key and associated mechanism does that. If there's any kind of strain on the steering, then the key will not turn/the wheel will not unlock. Usually, wiggling the steering wheel while trying to turn the key will cure the problem, but if not, then the lock mechanism has broken or siezed.

Les.

same happened to me after biling, problem was that i was on a ferry at the time! (glad it didn't happened before the ferry)

had to get the AA to take me home on back of a recovery truck, then when home i squirted some wd40 in the lock and after a few minutes it worked again, failed once more a few weeks later, wd40 cured again (now carry small tin everywhere) and hasn't happened again and that was about 9 months ago

Lack of lubrication in the barrel. Can sometimes be persuaded by taking it off and beating it with a big hammer, and prevented by occasional application of a bit of fine powdered graphite into the barrel to keep things lubricated.

This happened to me frequently last year. Remove the plastic cowling, and gently tap the lock with a hammer & screwdriver. you could try inserting the key and gently tapping the end of it. Eventually the lock will not release anymore, and will need replacement. My '98 Disco is on its 3rd lock already. Removal of the lock is fairly easy with something sharp (drill bit?) to bite into the headless bolts as you tap them undone.

Chris

This happened to me frequently last year. Remove the plastic cowling, and gently tap the lock with a hammer & screwdriver. you could try inserting the key and gently tapping the end of it. Eventually the lock will not release anymore, and will need replacement. My '98 Disco is on its 3rd lock already. Removal of the lock is fairly easy with something sharp (drill bit?) to bite into the headless bolts as you tap them undone.

Chris

i had to do the same as chris.......slowly got worse and worse until it just didnt work anymore.... replacements can be bought on the bay cheap enough

I had the same happen, we just took the barrel out and ran around with the wires hanging out for 6 months until I got it fixed. New barrels are cheap and easy to change.

Well cheers everyone.. i think I'll brace meself for more carp then :-).. see what Land Rover Oviedo in Northern Spain say later today .. nothing is cheap here.. but we'll see. I wish I logged on before I sent it away but neh mind eh..!

Cheers

Hish

Well done Lads, A bit WD40 and a little tap on the head sorted it out. they had all wired to the laptop etc.. trying to figure out what happened !

The mechanics & management were puzzled and felt silly at Land Rover dealer in OVIEDO Spain. So they were happy to have learned somink and let me go with no charge :-).

Nice 1

Hish

Here's a reply from a little left field. When that happened to mine i discovered that the key went in too far. I presume there is something in the barrel that is supposed to limit the travel of the key. Anyway i just put a large amound of tape on the key and it now works fine.

However opening the fuel tank requires the unlimited key

Have fun

Hugh

• 8 years later...

Hi Hish and fellow members.  So this happened to me at the weekend (March 2019). I turned the wheel to get my Disclock on without the ignition/power steering on and I think I damaged it.  I've got a Defender 110 TD5 2002.   I've wiggled and wiggled and cannot release it. So, from the above WD40 down the lock right?  Just where precisely do I need to tap with my small hammer and screwdriver?  I've pretty much stripped off the steering wheel, covers indicator/light control unit to gain access to the Barrel but I've not figured out how to remove it yet.  BUT anyway if I can get it moving freely with a tap and WD40 then I'll try this first.   Hope you can advise further.